1964 Hydra-Matic transmission question

Pete Phillips

I just received this used 1964 LeSabre TH-400 transmission from a BCA member, via truck freight. The crate had no damage, but I found this gouge towards the rear of the aluminum transmission case. It goes all the way through the aluminum housing, so will leak if this area of the transmission is under fluid pressure. Does anyone know? Should I complain to the seller? Should I try to get it welded?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

post-32059-143142874907_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142874911_thumb.jpg

I don't know about pressure in that area, or even fluid at all. Looking at the seepage around the pan and side cover I would think if that are was any fluid around the puncture, then there would have been some outside the case( unless the trans was drained before shipping) . And based on the pictures I don't see evidence that this is a recent puncture. But it would be an odd shaped vent if it is meant to be there.

I suspect that would be "an open area" inside the case, where the only oil might be "splash" rather than "pressure". The "case vent" should be near the front, typically, and certainly higher on the case than the indicated hole is.

It might be fine to inquire with the seller if they might have any knowledge of the particular area, but to ask for compensation for a repair could be a dead end situation.

Rather than heli-arc welding the area, I'd be more inclined to use a "cold" sealer/epoxy repair. For good measure, you could remove the tail shaft housing for additional investigation. A new gasket could be easily cut, if needed, I suspect. Might be a good time to replace the rear bushing and seal, for good measure, too. I suspect that with the housing removed, you can get a better idea of what happened. Plus to clean it for the "cold" repair. Either repair would be highly visible, unfortunately, so trying to hide it would not work.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467