Southern Africa 1920-1950

Guest Peter Deane

Guest Peter Deane

Hi all im new here and am only here to try and identify some family pictures. They were taken in the 1930 or thereabouts in what is now Zambia. If any one can identify the cars Id appreciate it.

1) A 4 door with rag top and solid rims. Note the "tool box" on the rear bumper (3 pictures)

2) A 2 door coupe

3) A "Truck" that was used to transport supplies

Please reply to me if you can identify any of the 4 cars.

Thanks

post-104153-143142808881_thumb.jpg

post-104153-143142808883_thumb.jpg

post-104153-143142808897_thumb.jpg

post-104153-143142808899_thumb.jpg

post-104153-1431428089_thumb.jpg

post-104153-143142808902_thumb.jpg

Guest Peter Deane
They may be British European rather than American made.

Also try asking on www.prewar.com

Thanks. I do know that South Africa, and the two Rhodesia's of the pre war years often had both american and british made vehicles.

I think I found #2.1930 Marquette

30+Marquette.jpg

1930 Marquette

Following the success of Oakland's Pontiac and Cadillac's LaSalle, Buick tried its hand at a companion car. The 1930 Marquette was introduced in June of 1929, months before the new Buicks, but October's stock market crash caused the line to be dropped before dealers had finished hanging new signs. Oldsmobile's companion car, the V8 powered Viking, suffered a similar fate.

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

Number 2 is not a Marquette, It doesn't have the distinctive herringbone pattern on the radiator. I can't match it to anything American and I am beginning to think it might be something from one of the European makers who went through an "American" styling period for a few years.

Guest Peter Deane
I believe the 2 door Coupe is a 1936 Chevrolet Business Coupe

Thanks so much Dan, Goggling the Coupe gave me a lot of pictures and I think you are correct. One down 2 to go.

Guest Peter Deane

Its great to hear from people who know their cars. I agree it must be a '37 as it has that distinctive curve on the grill as does my poor quality picture.

Guest Peter Deane

Again gents. I agree. The distinctive radiator & ornament and the solid wheels all point to the car. Google shows an almost all black color was also probable.