Carriage Bolts on wheel hubs for wooden spokes

Rogillio

Decided to start on the wheels. There are 8 bolts holding the wood hub/spokes....in each bolt someone cut a slit. I say 'someone' cause it does not look factory. They were very tough getting off with an impact wrench. When I tried to put the nuts back on the bolts they would not go on! After an hour of trying only 3 of the 8 started. I got to thinking about the boltsand why someone would cut a slot in them?! This was the day (1926) before the nylongn self locking nuts. My guess is that someone cut the slits and then splayed the bolt to keep the nut from backing off? Just a guess. What say you?

I ordered for new carriage bolts and self locking nuts. The original are not exactly like modern carriage bolts. The originals are more like ovals....or squares with the corners trimmed. May yet try to salvage the old bolts.....but I don't have a tap/die that size.

I just went through this exercise restoring my wheels. The bolts were peened so the nuts would stay on. Factory original as this was the case on 2 different sets of wheels that I have. I ended up grinding them enough to get the nuts off then dressing up the threads to save them. I looked everywhere on the internet for bolts to match the originals and they don't exist. The heads are smaller and higher profile than modern ones.

I've got 8 on order from Fastenal. I bought 8 self locking nuts and will use some Locktite too. I got to thinking that the wood is being sandwhich'd between the two plates and wood will expand and contract so I can see where the might loosen. I will keep an eye on them.

I just measured the bolts I got......they are 7/16" × 2 1/4" and the heads are 15/16" in diameter.

I also bought 7/16 heavy nuts at the same time.

I don't know what length bolts you are getting but I'm afraid you won't have enough threads for nylock nuts.

I was a little concerend about that too but when he looked up the bolt he said 'these are just a little bit longer'....so my hope is they will be long enought to engage the nylon part of the locking nut.