Crooked Glove Box Door?

63 Red Riv

Guest atomickneedrop

Hello,

The door is asymmetrical. The side closest to the passenger door is skinnier than the inboard side. The hinge mounting on mine was broken and cracked so the door wouldn't close properly. I used JB weld to fabricate the missing bits. If you want it to look right just make sure it has the same gap left and right with the bottom trim.

Kraig

I agree with bb1970 - I've never seen one that's straight either. And that fact that my door would not open very well because of that was one of the first things I noticed when I bought my '63. What I did to help solve the problem was to trim a sliver of the ribbed (on all but early Rivs) metal dash trim from the area of the dash closest to the left side of the door - it's a very thin trim and I gently pried it up with a wide spatula so as not to bend it, and trimmed it with a very sharp pair of scissors. Now that doesn't mean my door is perfectly aligned, but it sure opens and closes better!

Agree with the previous posts about none of them really working well. Mine works pretty well now, though not because I aligned it really well. Rather, I found that if you carefully shoot in a little WD 40 in the lock mechanism on a regular basis, it seems to cure it at least temporarily. Right in the keyhole. I had mine on and off about twenty times and it was never aligned as good as I'd hoped. Sometimes, it looked great, but wouldn't open. Again, the lock. Finally, I got it about as straight as possible. Most people wouldn't even notice anyway. I'm sure they all get fussy for different reasons, but mine seems to originate around the lock. I hit it carefully with WD 40 about every 6 months. Now, if I push in the button and gently press on the outside of the door, it pops open about an inch. It also snaps shut like a guillotine. PRL