1st phase engine compartment

Guest clamshells

Guest clamshells

Progress on my 65 Gran Sport project car. I lost the "before pic" but imagine dirty fake nonmatching braided hoses and wild multicolored spaghetti running everywhere.

Removed wiring for car stereo, electric fuel pump and air ride.

Removed heat/ AC wiring harness & generator, temp, oil, ignition wiring harness, made repairs all correct plugs wrapped with correct "tape".

Routed harnesses and hoses as correct as possible.

Replaced heater core

Flushed block, radiator, replaced rad, heater hoses, control valve

Replaced heat/ AC door actuators

Restored fuel pump & lines (fuel pump bolt had stripped threads in timing cover)

Routed all vacuum correctly

Replaced power steering pump reservior

Replaced points with electronic

Replaced choke housing, made new heat tube

Replaced master cylinder

Rebuilt wiper/washer motor/pump

Rebuilt antenna

Very quiet KW fires right up and runs well for 11+ years sitting since carbs were rebuilt.

post-98889-143142528944_thumb.jpg

post-98889-143142529143_thumb.jpg

post-98889-143142528961_thumb.jpg

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

Keep up the good work Mike! You have been quite busy and made alot of progress.

Always interesting having to undo work from past owners.

I noticed your car has the correct driver side CA closed crankcase valve cover with breather opening at the rear. Hard to tell in pic but was the original hose to the air cleaner still there?

Guest clamshells
Looking sharp…sounds like u put in some hours & it shows.

Thx for sharing

David

It is mostly correct and tidy now, but very dirty. Nothing like your car but Thank You.

I"ll go back and paint and detail once all the work is done & I know all the leaks are fixed. Ignition wire stands, holders, wires, wire harness & hose brackets coming in soon. Going underside to pull that annoying air ride & install heavy duty coils and newer shocks from my parts car. Next: trans service, bleed brakes, change rear end oil, clean & repack front wheel bearings, replace as needed any bad suspension bushings.

Front suspension joints all look recent and steering is tight.

As soon as she drives and rides to my satisfaction she goes for exhaust then off for paint prep. I don't think I can wrong with her Z2 paint code and 628 interior if and when I sell her ;-)

Her new life as a solid daily driver and mostly correct is my expectation for this car. Goldie is going to be my Trailer Queen I post her pics soon.

Guest clamshells

I noticed your car has the correct driver side CA closed crankcase valve cover with breather opening at the rear. Hard to tell in pic but was the original hose to the air cleaner still there?

Thanks for the appreciation, yes past owners are more often than not a car's biggest downfall.

I know that hose, but no it isn't there.

Guest clamshells

I keep forgetting to find a correct oil filler cap to replace that front breather.

Guest clamshells
If concerned about originality you`ll also need the correct rear breather Mike.

Tom

Hi Tom,

The rear breather is a "top loader" right?

I have a long way to go picking away at hose clamps, hose routing & type, heater control valve bracket w/faked in control valve, and plethora of little details , but have come a long way from where it was ;-)

Mike

Hi Tom,

The rear breather is a "top loader" right?

I have a long way to go picking away at hose clamps, hose routing & type, heater control valve bracket w/faked in control valve, and plethora of little details , but have come a long way from where it was ;-)

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, the breather exits to the top, the hose makes the right angle turn toward the port in the air cleaner snorkel.

Tom

Guest clamshells
Hi Mike,

Yes, the breather exits to the top, the hose makes the right angle turn toward the port in the air cleaner snorkel.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'll have to leave the rear breather as is for now (it's functioning) but about the front breather...................should be a oil filler cap only, right?

Mike

Guest clamshells
Yes, that is correct

Tom

My best attempt was tracking down a Stant part number, ordering the cap but it won't install due to the clearance between the rocker arm and the valve cover.

What is your advice?

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clamshells

Removed the "bags" the altered front control arms and replaced with good solid control arms and new lower ball joints, new front coils to the 1" lower/30% stiffer "GS" specs + 1/2" lower in the nose. The rear was also altered to accept the rear "bags" which required a simpler fix to restore, just some grade 8 bolts, washers and nuts to replace the stock upper spring clamp studs. Replaced the shocks but not happy with the pseudo-SensaTrac as they are puny compared to genuine Monroe SensaTrac. I should have gone with Bilstein and been done and happy the first time.

The car sits NICE :cool:.

My best attempt was tracking down a Stant part number, ordering the cap but it won't install due to the clearance between the rocker arm and the valve cover.

What is your advice?

Mike

Mike, The original cap was chromed but until you find the proper replacement, and if an aftermarket will not work, it should be easy enough to find the standard non-chrome cap and paint it silver. At least it will fit and look OEM.

Tom

Because he has the California emissions control set up, he doesn't need a breather cap, just an oil filler cap. Here's a link to one sold by CARS, but it says it's for the big block; don't know if it will fit or not but this is the style to which Tom is making reference.

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/catalog/1961-up-big-buick-group-oiling-oil-filler-cap-1969-74-stage-engines-p-8120.html

Rock auto shows both a Stant and a Gates for the CA equipped cars: Gates part number 31066, Stant part number 10066. I googled the gates part number and found it at Amazon.com. It referenced the Stant part number as well. The Gates was $4.69, and the Stant was $5.51 - both appear to be chrome plated.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest clamshells
Because he has the California emissions control set up, he doesn't need a breather cap, just an oil filler cap. Here's a link to one sold by CARS, but it says it's for the big block; don't know if it will fit or not but this is the style to which Tom is making reference.

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/catalog/1961-up-big-buick-group-oiling-oil-filler-cap-1969-74-stage-engines-p-8120.html

Rock auto shows both a Stant and a Gates for the CA equipped cars: Gates part number 31066, Stant part number 10066. I googled the gates part number and found it at Amazon.com. It referenced the Stant part number as well. The Gates was $4.69, and the Stant was $5.51 - both appear to be chrome plated.

Hi Ed, I have the Stant 10066 which shows as the correct oil filler cap for a 65 425 but it doesn't clear the rockers assembly.

post-98889-143142554571_thumb.jpg

Not a great picture but if another member has the correct cap and please post a picture to compare that would be great.

Mike

post-98889-143142554571_thumb.jpg

Guest dwhiteside64
Because he has the California emissions control set up, he doesn't need a breather cap, just an oil filler cap...

Thanks Ed now I see it after reading the earlier posts. DUHHHH!

Guest clamshells

Update for anyone that gives a rats back: The Ghost rides good but tracks horrible. He goes for new tires and alignment w/ Russ Martins Suggestion 2-3 degrees positive castor (I'll go 2) to see how it goes.

Side note: the GS 15:1 steering ratio makes quite a difference over the standard box.

Here he is looking angry Goldie kicked him out of the garage.post-98889-14314255519_thumb.jpg

post-98889-14314255519_thumb.jpg

Guest clamshells
Beginning to look good. When can you drive down to Monterey in it? Dale

With fresh meats and alignment the car will make it anywhere I want to go but still needs bumpers/lights to be safe and legal. I have lofty plans of installing a 4 speed or dropping the dual quad KW&BS in a 65 Skylark or making a 65 Gran Sport clone. Goldie is on the front burner for carpet, rechromed road wheels and rear bumper, but she's up for a trip on cooler day (was 103 here today).

Monterey sunny and 68 F. Fog in AM sunny afternoon and warming to 70.:cool: Rivieras gotta like it so come on down. My loss; I didn't have a Riv when the Riv group was here last year. Would loved to have mingled with all the enthusiasts especially after getting to know them on this site. Anyone in the area, any time, are welcome to contact.

• 2 months later...
Guest clamshells

The PO performed The Ghost's body work (need I elaborate) so I had it taken down to metal and started over. Passenger fender was usable but I want no issues with the clams or cathedrals fitting up so I used a excellent fender I was hoarding. Replaced the drivers wing trim it was beat up from what looked like a coat hanger. The car is going to be ready for blocking and another coat of primer ready to wet sand and paint. Z2 code car roof is amazing I have the pics in metal, rockers are perfect and I have the vinyl top trim in very good condition. The Ghost was born a Gran Sport but missing the LX block and now has a 307 posi otherwise the dual quads, air cleaner, rocker covers all there and nice, BS trans, 15:1 steering box and all the badges are there. New H2 springs, Z2 car in gray primer, black Custom Interior AC car w/ Cruise, power windows, power seat, folding rear arm rest, rear defrost, remote trunk release, rebuilt antenna, rebuilt washer motor, new shocks, fires up, runs strong, comes with everything to put back together. Leaks from steering box otherwise this car is dry. New heater core, rebuilt correct curved distributor, new trans pan gasket, trans might be built but definitely recent rebuild Switch Pitch works. Excellent set of clams and motor works fresh linkage, seats, dash and door panels are done, car comes with more trim than you'll care to own. Also comes with repro badges and originals, NOS flip trunk, body bushing set. Extra cruise setup from instrument panel to brake pedal and too much more to list. Catch this car now for 13.5 & paint your own color before I finish it in Z2 Silver Cloud and ask 25. I don't need the money, health issues motivate the sale. The car is a running, driving, tire smoking rocket of a GS needs a color coat, driver's floor pan and put back together. Two rechromed X code wheels with 2 cores + the set of 65 road wheels & caps it came with new.