Whats with my Speedometer

TNtc

I have an 89 Auto with 2.2 Turbo. When I bought my car the odometer did not work but the speedometer did. So I replace the gears. Everything worked fine for about a week and then one day both the speedometer and odometer stopped working. Before i had time to get around to seeing what was wrong, it started working again. (I drove over a railroad track) It had worked fine for 5 months. Then today both stopped working again. I thought at one time it was going to start working again when I had to slam on my brakes because the car in front of me turned with out using turn signal. It worked for a couple of min. then stopped again. Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I have an 89 Auto with 2.2 Turbo. When I bought my car the odometer did not work but the speedometer did. So I replace the gears. Everything worked fine for about a week and then one day both the speedometer and odometer stopped working. Before i had time to get around to seeing what was wrong, it started working again. (I drove over a railroad track) It had worked fine for 5 months. Then today both stopped working again. I thought at one time it was going to start working again when I had to slam on my brakes because the car in front of me turned with out using turn signal. It worked for a couple of min. then stopped again. Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Best guess is that you have part of an old gear tooth loose inside, or bad electrical connect when you put it back together, or both. Take it apart, give it a real good look see with a magnifying glass and try it again.

A defective Distance Sensor or a loose connection at the Distance Sensor would cause the condition you experience.

• 4 weeks later...
A defective Distance Sensor or a loose connection at the Distance Sensor would cause the condition you experience.

Mr. Dude

Where is the Distance Sensor. Is it hard to get to or replace?

Thanks

Electronic distance sensor is located on tranny where good old fashion spedo cable used to go. Picture of what it looks like and testing proceedure located pg. 8E-6 & 7 red manual and should be close to same in blue service manual.

You might be able to get a socket on there, but I personally use a wrench. If you have a ratcheting wrench on there that you can get on there more power to you, I never have a set of those on me when I've removed the sensor. Those sensors are very common and are used on a bunch of cars. The one in my TC now was pulled off of my 87 Daytona Pacifica and before that it came off of a 94? Acclaim. There the same only thing you need to change is a plastic gear that's accessible once the sensor is removed. Just be careful not to break the tabs that hold it in. I'm half awake but if you have any other questions ask away..

Sent from my N9510 using Tapatalk

Edited by jayspartanburg (see edit history)