63 Riviera trunk/body mounts part 2

Guest Kaber

Got the patches for the trunk repair installed this weekend. I used seam sealer between the panels and used (10) 5/16 Button head cap screws per side. I went over the seams with more seam sealer. I painted the patch/mounts with bedliner before and after installation. A little bit of under coating here and there and I'm gonna call it done. I am going to put in some indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes in grey. I still have to buy it! Here are some pictures....(I did both sides but am only showing one)

Finished panels before installation:

2013-10-26140332_zpsd4f4e2c9.jpg

2013-10-26140343_zps8edf4d78.jpg

Right hole

2013-10-26140408_zps82f033c4.jpg

Seam sealer

2013-10-26144115_zps1bbb4bd3.jpg

Sealed panel from top

2013-10-26153023_zpse442b878.jpg

Sealed from bottom

2013-10-26153107_zps68b32fb2.jpg

Bedlined bottom

2013-10-27105825_zps41d3810a.jpg

Top with cardboard

2013-10-27161842_zpsf9999646.jpg

I have a spare but need a Jack and jack handle. I have the base. What other years/cars will work???? Does anyone have an extra to fit the 63?

Thanks, Kaber

I may have one, I'll have to check. The jack is unique to the Riviera. It has a small tab that goes into a slot in the bumper. Most jacks have a big hook that goes under the bumper. I think that any GM lug wrench from the era will work. Do you also need the hold down bracket and spring for the jack? I made a hold down bracket from some heavy wire I took from a "vote for me" type yard sign that someone stuck in my yard w/o permission. It's not hard to do, but you need a good one for a guide. Look at post #21 in this thread. http://forums.aaca.org/f177/f-s-63-401-dynaflow-334245.html You can find a spring in any hardware store.

Ed

That's what the hook in the right side trunk floor is for! Thanks Ed! Yeah, all I have is the hook for the wheel, wingnut and Jack base. My Firebird also has a small tab to work in the bumperless front end, there are also small slots in the back bumper, sounds similar. LMK if you have a Jack. Thanks.

Tim

Pretty cool, I'm getting ready to do the same thing. I was going to do something more labor intensive but, not now, I like your deal. I saw your other post, are the body mounts you used here the same (66-67 chevelle) as there? thanks Joey

Same mounts, just painted with bedliner. When I started working on old cars I patched alot of stuff. I have been driving my patched up Firebird for 30 years. I read a quote one time, "Don't let perfect get in the way of good. Perfect is only worth so much of your retirement account". I keep telling my self that with this project. Post some pics of what you end up doing.

Tim

Guest Pearville
Same mounts, just painted with bedliner. When I started working on old cars I patched alot of stuff. I have been driving my patched up Firebird for 30 years. I read a quote one time, "Don't let perfect get in the way of good. Perfect is only worth so much of your retirement account". I keep telling my self that with this project. Post some pics of what you end up doing.

Tim

Love that quote, Hot rodding started out with taking as little as possible and making something you could enjoy. It's real easy to put perfection in the way of fun. Mike

• 11 months later...

Hi Martin,

The caged nut body mount portions were for a 66-67 Chevelle made by Dynacorn. I had to cut them down and box in the open ends. The large sheetmetal parts on the trunk floor we made out of like gauge sheetmetal as well as the box end pieces. I took them to a small local shop and had the individual pieces welded up.

Here is a link to some earlier fabrication pictures.

http://forums.aaca.org/showthread.php?t=361455&p=1229020#post1229020

Thanks!

Hi Kaber,

Thanks for your reply. I need another bookshelve to place all the usefull threads .

I am a real newbee, for now I enjoy driving the car. Every dry weather weekend the Riviera is doing what is made for... and white I'm driving I am not the only one who's enjoying. And when it is raining I am surfing the net for information.

Have fun with your Riviera!