Carburetor question

tom1954

I have a 54 New Yorker with a 331 2bl. It has the water cooled base. I have the water disconnected not due to any type of leakage but because with it hooked up it makes for hard starting when hot, as if it is boiling the fuel in the bowl. There is a fairly strong odor of fuel after shutdown, even with the water disconnected. Anyone have an extra WCB carb laying around? I have been told that the car must only use that style carb to prevent icing. It is running fine with the water disconnected ( but it runs very rich thus the need for a different carb) and I do not use the car in the winter. Any thoughts or solutions? I know there is something causing the rich mixture (bad float or needle and seat?) and that is the reason I can only get about 7 MPG.

The strong smell of gasoline is due to gasoline evaporating through the bowl vent. This is an issue with the volatility of modern fuel, not with your type WCD carburetor.

And WCD carbs for Chrysler are both difficult to find and expensive when you find them. Best to repair what you have, assuming the aluminum throttle body is still all right.

Jon.

• 3 weeks later...
my 65 Chrysler 383 has same smell and also hard to start after it has been run, acts if it is flooded. Other than the smell and starting runs great. Any fix for this? The heat riser in the exhaust works and not sticking.

Basically, this is a political problem, not a carburetor problem. This link may help you better live with the problem:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Troubleshooting.htm#Hardstarthot

Jon.