My 1956 Buick Roadmaster

Buicknutty

Folks;

I did a nice weekend tour in my '56 Roadmaster after a fair bit of work, and it was a nice trouble free tour of nearly 300 miles.

I've had this car for over 35 years and have driven it every summer, sometimes just a bit, sometimes several thousand miles.

The last number of years I've been head down in a complete restoration of a Canadian built (McLaughlin) Buick Roadmaster coupe, so the '56 baby has just been "driven" without too much maintenence, other than oil changes for the last 4-5 years. With the '41 mostly done, and roadworthy it was time for my faithful '56 to get some attention.

Well, the Dynaflow was leaking, the brakes needed doing, along with a few other issues.

So, the Dynaflow has been out, I took the torque convertor off, and had to put a sleeve on the shaft, and new seals, etc. It was completely rebuilt and has 35-40,000 miles on it since then and was working fine, other than leaking real bad. I know there are two schools of thought on this, "do it all" and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", this time I choose the latter.

Other than the drums, everything was changed on the brakes. Rebuilt master,new shoes, wheel cylinders,and lines. This car was originally from California, and is very rust free, but I was concerned about corrosion from the inside out. Most of the old lines still had their original plating still on them, but I wanted the peace of mind of all new stuff.post-77136-143141921063_thumb.jpg

So the Dynaflow is working just as it should, though the brake lines gave me some grief as I had a few leaks to get solved. Anyway, got all the issues all cleared up the day before we're due to leave for our weekend tour.

Keith

Guest shadetree77

Beautiful '56 Keith! Glad to hear all of your repairs went well and that you had a good tour. I long for the day when I can drive mine 300 miles trouble free.

Guest Rob McDonald

That's a beautiful car. Great colour - is it really greyish-green, like it looks on my screen? 2-door hardtop, right? What's with the gun-sights over the headlights - a precursor of 1958? More pictures, please!

Thanks, guys.

Robert;

I'm sure the day will come soon for you too!

Rob;

The colour in the picture is fairly accurate. The colours are Castle Grey and Dover White, both original '56 colours.

The Castle Grey is a bit warmer than it should be, as on the chip chart it shows as being a very slightly bluish grey, instead of greenish grey. It was repainted about 30 years ago, and now shows a patina like an original paint job might.

It is a 2 door hardtop Roadmaster, with pretty much all of the options. It has power steering, brakes, windows, seats, antenna, wonderbar radio, and factory air, though other than the clock, the A/C the only thing that's not working. I have a new compressor for it, and it was on the to do list during the winter, but I didn't get that far along!

I'll post a few more pictures when I can.

Also, as most have likely noticed, this car is a driver, and though it looks fairly good, it doesn't compare to the show beauties that often park beside me.

Keith

...Also, as most have likely noticed, this car is a driver, and though it looks fairly good, it doesn't compare to the show beauties that often park beside me...Keith

I cannot agree with your statement Keith, and here's the reason why!

tn_dsc09740_original.jpg