Help ID this 1930 Chrysler

Matt Harwood

Hey guys, I have recently come across the attached 1930 Chrysler roadster but am having trouble identifying which series it might be. I don't think it's a 77, since it's quite different from the other 77 we have for sale. Perhaps a 66? I have lots of photos, but these will probably help the most. Sadly I didn't get the number off the door post while I was visiting the car.

Thanks!

post-31138-143138731927_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14313873193_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138731932_thumb.jpg

Wow, that was quick, but I knew you'd be the one to positively identify it. Where does the CJ fit in the 1930 Chrysler hierarchy? What tipped you off that it's a CJ? I'd like to learn more about these cars.

Thanks for the quick feedback!

A friend of mine in El Cajon, California had one that I drooled on for years....and it wasn't even finished. It should have the 109" wheelbase. I could be wrong, but it sure looks to be a "CJ". The top bumper face bar being parallel and not having a crest is another way to tell. Man, that's a beautiful car. One of 1,616 made. The number will not be on the door post. It will be on a FEDCO plate on the dashboard. It was the lightest car for Chrysler in 1930.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The CJ was a new low price line introduced in mid 1930 and the first Chrysler 6 to sell at under $1000. Also the first Chrysler with the 4 bearing engine. It is on the same 109" wheelbase as the other lower price Chryslers; Dodge DD, Desoto K and Plymouth. Chrysler badge-engineering begins from here.

It's for sale. I'll have more info shortly, but it's a nice car that was restored perhaps 20 years ago and not used much since. Now that we know what it is, we're working out a price. If anyone is interested, drop me a line.

Thanks again for the quick answers, guys. These little Mopars are starting to grow on me. They're wonderful cars to drive!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

They are VERY nice cars to drive. Comfortable, roomy, easy handling, powerful, at least 5 years advanced in engineering from your similarly priced car and really good looking! Here is some more information for verification that it is a "CJ".

post-37352-143138733161_thumb.jpg

Guest De Soto Frank

" These little Mopars are starting to grow on me. They're wonderful cars to drive! "

They were always well-engineered cars. The very first Chrysler, the B-70, had a seven-bearing 201cid engine with full-pressure lubrication, that produced 70 hp... almost as much as some much bigger , more expensive marques.

They also were early pioneers of four-wheel hydraulic brakes.

( I do have have to make a slight disclaimer for the 4-cylinder Chryslers - these were evolutions of the Maxwell four, and were not quite the all-new engineering triumph as the Chrysler sixes.)

A few years back I had the wonderful opportunity to drive a 1924 Chrysler B-70 Touring at a National Chrysler Products Club meet in Scranton, and I was quite impressed by the driveability... it had more pep than the '41 De Soto I drove to the same show !

That CJ is a gorgeous car... I wish I had some mad-money !

Those demountable wooden wheels are sweet! I stand corrected on the location of the serial number. It could either be on the dashboard in the form of a FEDCO plate or it could be a later "CJ" with the serial number on the passenger side door post. Sorry.