Need help identifying vehicle

Guest Pete B.

Guest Pete B.

BACKGROUND

I recently received the attached photo from a second cousin who I never knew that I had. Our granfathers were brothers born in Stourbridge, England. We each knew their first names and not much more. They were adopted. We think that it may be the reason for the secret.

The first week of August of this year I came across a name linked to my grandfather's brother. I called to see if I could visit. I drove to NH from NY on AUg 15th. Through comparing notes we determined that we are indeed related.

The photo was in a box that my cousin's aunt had stashed away. She had written on the back "Uncle Archie", my grandfather. He was born in 1884, immigrated to Weare, NH in 1887. In the photo (the driver) he appears to be in his early 20's.

I think that the vehicle may be a Pierce Motorette but can't confirm. Can anyone help I.D.? THANKS

Pete Baker

West Hurley, NY

post-64766-143138130669_thumb.jpg

Guest Pete B.
It looks like a 1902 or 1903 Stanley (steam car).

The NH license plate on the front was used from 1905-1911, but this number was issued in 1907.

I hope this helps,

Chris

Chris,

Thanks! The Stanley makes sense. My grandfather died in 1947. I remember my grandmother telling me as a kid the "Grampa" used to own a Stanley Steamer. She also told me that he had a Model T that had to be driven backwards up long. steep hills. I guess that it must have had a gravity feed fuel tank.

I was told that the photo had a note attached saying it was taken in England. I zoomed in on the plate and it sure looks like "NH". From Google I knew that style license plate, porcelain, were used in the early 1900's. I couldn't put the actual year the way you did. Thanks.

I'll have to Google Stanley.

Thanks again,

Pete

post-64766-143138130722_thumb.jpg

post-64766-143138130723_thumb.jpg

Guest Pete B.
Hi,

None of my Motorette pictures show tiller steering?

Regards

Vintman

Thanks!

I know nothing about the early vintage cars. I only started looking this weekend. I had to rely on my friend Google.

I've attached a few of the images that I found. They all seem to indicate tillers

regards,

Pete

post-64766-143138130724_thumb.jpg

post-64766-143138130728_thumb.jpg

post-64766-143138130729_thumb.jpg

post-64766-143138130732_thumb.jpg

Guest Pete B.
Here is my friend Eric Rosenau with his tiller-steered Pierce Motorette. I do not remember what year it is.

Thanks!

The tiller in my photo seems to be goose neck shape. Most image seem to show a verticle column with a perpendicular handle.

regards,

Pete

Guest Pete B.
1903 Stanley Steamer seems a likely match. Same fenders, etc.

I'm convinved that it's a Stanley Steamer. Like you said the fenders match as does the shape of the rumble.

I'm still puzzled however, the spokes in my photo are heavy cast or carved. The only lamps are mounted mid-ship. All of the photos found show front mounted lamps or side forward mounted lamps. Some show a combination of both.

It's fun trying to piece the puzzles together. My original inquiry was to see if I could put a place and year on the photo. With eveyones help I have decided that the photo was taken in New Hampshire between 1905-1910.

Another bit of info. My grandfather was part owner of Amoskeag Machine Co. in Manchester, NH. Before that he worked for the Amoskeag Co. when they were fabric mills. The Amoskeag Mills have quite a history behind them. Steam locomotives anf steam fire pumpers were manufactured in the mills. Perhaps his interest in Stanley.

Pete

post-64766-143138130749_thumb.jpg

Hi Keiser,

Sorry, by tiller steering I meant the flexible curved tiller like the Curved Dash rather than the fixed column type as used by the Motorette. None of the pictures of the Motorette show the tiller type as shown on PeteB 's photo.

Regards

Vintman

Welcome to the Forum, and thank you for posting the photo. It is an early Stanley, that front section would open up to allow two more passengers to sit up front. Must have been fun, a roller coaster type ride with the driver in the rear seat. The Stanley Museum is in Maine, a Google search will get you in contact with them. This is the first early Stanley I've seen with wood wheels, most have wires. About 30 years ago I brought one home for a friend in my 1975 Ford Pickup. It was a restoration in progress and it all fit in the back with the tailgate and cap hatch closed for the ride home.:)

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Guest Pete B.

I found a photo of a 1903 Stanley in the LIFE Libary. It shows wooden spokes.

Did different models have different wheels? Where there US versions and European versions?

This Stanley looks somewhat different than my granfathers and the others.

Pete

post-64766-143138131601_thumb.jpg

I found a photo of a 1903 Stanley in the LIFE Libary. It shows wooden spokes.

Did different models have different wheels? Where there US versions and European versions?

This Stanley looks somewhat different than my granfathers and the others.

Pete

The tiller and fenders match the vehicle in question.