I have found a set of Winfield model - S carbs, I need info

Gyva

hello I have found a set of winfield model-S carbs from the late 20's they are on a joining manifold and have a throttle bar and choke bar connecting them, all parts are there, they are complete, and everything moves freely, now I've been told theres a chance these are set up for alcohol, I dont know. all I know is these are extreamly rare to find one and I find a matching set. They were stored in an attic of an old chevy dealership thats been closed down for the last 50 years and just got bought and they are clearing it out and I got ahold of them. I was just talking to a carb guy in Washington that said its possible they are worth $2500 each. I need more info. I'm not a builder of these super old cars but I do want to know what I have so they can be sold for the proper price and put back on a rig they deserve to be on. My email is Gyva02@yahoo.com if I cant figure out to upload pics here to show you, origianl air filters and filter caps and all, this really was a great find...

Mike.

post-52574-143137936979_thumb.jpg

I'm finding out these are a 3 stage race only carb, but I cant really seem to find anything about these on the internet and I've searched for 2 days now on yahoo and google. Now I'm a builder of the vintage 60's and 70's rigs but it still makes me happy to know I saved these from the crusher as thats where they were going. I try to save any kind of auto history. Any info on what they might have been on I'm thinking model T, but any info would be great. thanks everyone...

Mike...

Yet further info and investigation has shown me how to find my part numbers and decode the carbs I got 2 winfields here a SER-SAD-4951 and SER-SAD-4954 they are both down drafts thus the D and they are both 1 inch bore thus the single A the only difference I see in them is the 4954 has a space for another bar or maybe choke cable to run through that has threaded holes and scres in it. The 4951 has this same slot for a bar or cable but no tapped out holes with screws leading me to believe the factory set them up this way to be a dual set up knowing only one choke cable had to be used to control them both with the choke bar they provided that connected them... but as always anyone that can shed some light on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone.. its bed time...

Mike...

$2,500 EACH!!!!!!!!!!! Find out what that guy is smoking and have him arrested, better yet offer him the pair for $2,000. and you'll make $1,500. over what anyone on eBay would pay. The balance tube is rare, so are the oddball filters, must have been on a street car.

Ha HA, he said maybe ha ha... I gave him the numbers he wanted off the carbs and he has not replied back yet... any ideas on what cars and engines this would have been hooked up to.

Mike..

The dealership may be the clue to the application. The carbs look as though they may have been a hot aftermarket option for someone too impatient for a Chev 4 in its natural state. I just went up to the shed to check a 1928 Chev head and an earlier Olds which I have gathered for T Ford speedster OHV conversion. Distance between the ports on the head is about 9 1/2" at rough measurement, and hole size is 1 1/4". Port size on the earlier Olds head is 1 1/8", so earlier Chev 4 are likely to be smaller also. If the distance between the ports is wrong it could be that the setup was salvaged from something else and intended for fitting to a Chev. It is not hard to change the length of the balance tube.

Ivan Saxton