Got my Reatta today!

Got my Reatta today!<P>After reading many of your posts and doing a lot of research over the weekend ?. I went ahead and bought a 1989 Black Reatta today !!!<BR>Even with the brake problems, etc ?. parts problems, etc ?. that I?ve heard about, still didn?t scare me. I guess that I was hooked after driving it ?all I could think about all weekend. I haven?t been this excited about a car in ?well let?s just say several years. <grin><P>I could tell by some of your dedication and enthusiasm that there must be something special with these cars. <P>Hope to have some pictures posted on a website soon. Can?t wait to get it polished up!<P>I?m sure that I will be asking ?newbie? questions, so please be patient with me.<P>Alex Godwin<BR>Huntsville, Alabama

Guest wally888

Leave the polish in the cabinet and turn your attention to the Brakes! Flush and test.<BR> Next step, enter diagnostics, record codes then delete codes. Drive car, record codes again.<BR> Then read codes at ALDL.<BR> If headlamps are floppy read article at reatta.net, order parts.................

Thanks guys, Yep, brakes & service manual are top of my list. Now, the codes are a different story ...no clue where to begin.<BR>Guess I will try to read up and figure all of that out. ( ALDL ???? )<BR>I'm assuming this is different that the on screen diagnostics.

Just bought my second reatta today a rag top.I have owned a coupe for 6 years and never had any problems except for the radio antena.I hope you will enjoy your reatta. Both of mine are 90s. smile.gif" border="0

I've yet to have a break problem with my '90 coupe. They work great. Assumming that the previous owner took care of those probs. I love driving that car and getting all the attention that it gets for me.(mostly older men!) Oh well, my wife would make me get rid of it if it attracted the ladies too much any way! wink.gif" border="0

Local Buick dealer will do a brake inspection for $35 ..sounds reasonable. Now, to just get an appointment!<BR>Anything special that I should have them look for?<P>Ran the diagnostics ( OFF & Warm buttons) on the CRT ?<BR>Said, no ECM codes, B552 History & C331 History ?nothing showed as current.<BR>Can?t wait to get a manual so I know more about all of this diagnostic stuff. <BR>I plan to have the transmission serviced soon ?anything to be aware of? ..or have the Tech. be aware of?<BR>Hope to have Struts replaced soon, Spoke with previous owner and he had never had them replaced ?. 157,000 miles ! I think it is due!<P>Can anyone tell me if the seat controls on the door panel light up?<BR>I have lights on the exterior key hole and the ?white/red? lights on the lower door panel, but nothing on the seat controls ?seems like they should be. Also, the gear shift selector doesn?t light up ?thinking that really should ?hard to tell if I?m in Drive or Over Drive at night.<P>Sounds like I will need an ignition switch replaced. The set of keys that came with the car are ancient, worn thin. Dealer said that they are so bad that a good copy could not be made and they would no longer have codes for that year model. He suggested a whole hew ignition switch : parts $28 ..labor $100. Did I read something on here about a ?smart chip? on the keys? These keys do not have that ????<BR>What is correct for the keys on an 89 ?<P><BR>Thanks,<BR>Alex

In UK so must be terse - unless dealer/mechanic really understands the system you will be paying $35 for FA&S. Had a dealer tell me Bonneville was fine, oil pressure gauge was rong when reading 0 at idle & cam bearings were sitting in bottom oil pan.