Retta paint stripe history?

tcams76

Personally I am in a minimalist period now. I have done nothing to my white Reatta ...yet!<BR>I did remove; or more to the point; after the repaint on the blue Reatta I did not have the stripe put back on. Liked the look and probably will do the same on the white. Destriped and debadged the 96 black cherry Riviera and just loved it. Robert

I alwyas thought it was interesting that the pin stripeing was deleted on the Select Sixties, and have wondered if that was an indication that the factory thought that the car looked better without the stripes

The pin stripe was standard on all year Reattas. I do not know why it does not run continious, front to back. Like the man says, an artistic thing.<P>The factory literature suggest the color of the stripe should match the interior, but there were 4 interior colors and at least 8 pin stripe colors each year.<P>There was an order option "pin stripe delete"<BR>but very few cars were ordered without the pin stripe. All the 1990 "Select Sixty" convertible can without a pin stripe.<P>The pin stripe was actually painted (not tape) but if you wrecked your Reatta, there was a pin stripe tape replacement.

Barney,<BR>My 89 has the original blue paint which looks fantastic except for the small paint chips on the front and the pinstripe which is now vanishing. The pinstripe looks like it matches the orangeish/gold on the wheel emblems. Is their a color code for this paint? I want to keep it as original as possible. Thanks

Guest jadesdrift90

Geesh... smile.gif" border="0 <P>I had to go look at my 90 Driftwood Coupe to check out the stripe thing...never noticed there was a break in it...learn something new everyday! grin.gif" border="0

Just FYI....Some body shops have folks who can do the hand pin strip back to original. I like that much better than tape. I watched the follow do a strip on a Reatta I once owned after I did some touch up paint. He put a small piece of masking tape along the car just below where the stripe should go. He then took two different paint bruses, one for the narrow stripe, and one for the wider and ran them along by hand, using the tape as his guide....After he finished, I couldn't tell the difference in his work and the original on the other side. It was a Buick body shop who did it. According to them, Buick had other cars with a hand painted pin stripe too. If you need paint and want to keep the Reatta as original you may want to ask about the hand pin stripe.

Your color codes and all other information about your car is on the "service parts identification" label in the trunk. Look at the 3 o'clock position beside the spare tire, you will need to lift the insulation.<P>Make a copy of everything on that label.<P>You can look at Tom Jenkins site (www.reatta.net) for a list that decodes the numbers and paint colors.<P>example 55A = 55 is gold and A=accent stripe