73-74 Olds Omega drivetrain questions

I have a shot to pick up a 73 or 74 Olds Omega (like a Nova) parts car with a 3-speed manual trans in it.

What V8 did these normally run? I know the Pontiac Ventura had a Pontiac 350 and it seems like these were the last cars before the corporate engine era really got going, so it should have an Olds motor, which is what the guy says it has. I don't have a book to check it out in, though.

What other GM blocks will the bell, flywheel, etc. work with? I'm not up on my late Olds interchanges... Pontiac made it easy, everything post-65 swaps out, I assume the bell is BOP, but is the crank flange bolt pattern shared with any other Olds? I have this '69 455 sleeping away in a Toronado parts car, be nice to be able to use it someplace.

It could have either a 250 ci Chevy six or a 350 Olds V8. The V8 car actually seems to be more common. Think 75 was the year they started using a lot of Buick V6 and V8 engines in the BOP X-cars. It will use a BOP or universal trans and flywheel BP will be same as any 68-later Olds V8.

A 455 Omega could be a deadly street killer. Just remember you'll hear a lot of Nova comments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It could have either a 250 ci Chevy six or a 350 Olds V8. The V8 car actually seems to be more common. Think 75 was the year they started using a lot of Buick V6 and V8 engines in the BOP X-cars. It will use a BOP or universal trans and flywheel BP will be same as any 68-later Olds V8.

A 455 Omega could be a deadly street killer. Just remember you'll hear a lot of Nova comments. </div></div>

Greg is correct. The X-body cars changed in 1975 and that's when the "corporate" engine sharing started (though an Olds 260 was still available in those later cars). Anyway, assuming the car has the Olds 350, the 455 is a drop in. Use the motor and frame mounts currently in the car - DO NOT go out and buy "455" motor mounts as they won't work. You'll need A-body (Cutlass) big block exhaust manifolds. Also, the Toro uses a different oil filter adapter from the RWD cars, but the one from the 350 will bolt on. You'll also need a RWD starter motor. Finally, you'll have a problem if you plan to keep the manual trans since Olds didn't drill the crank for a pilot bearing if the motor had an automatic trans behind it. You can get an adapter bushing that will sit in the existing crank recess and support the M/T input shaft but you'll need to trim about 1/2" off the end of the input shaft.

I fully expect the car to be too rotty to do anything with but part out. I'm just hoping there's enough left to flat-tow. But they tell me it is a V8, manual trans car.

Is the rearend in these cars the same as the later Omega/Nova/etc. ? I do need a rear for a '50 Chevy project I'm working on. I can't remember if the perches are the same as 75-79 and the 70-81 Camaro/Firebird, or not.

Thanks for the info -