54 Skylark HT coupe

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest sintid58

Is that your newest 54 MR Earl. Dreams are great anyway aren't they. That looks like the car that has been rumored to be around. If it is and its real its awesome and if its not the real thing then its awesome.

Personally, I hope it isn't the famous hardtop. I have seen pictures of the Skylark that was built in hardtop form for ( I think) a Buick exec's wife. IF... it is the original, somebody needs to buy it and rip that fake a$$ air conditioning and power brakes. I'm all for altering/ hot rodding ALMOST any car, but not GM handbuilts.

Mike

Guest my3buicks

Isn't this the car that was in aricles maybe even in the Bugle many years ago, the guy used a Special & a basket case Skylark and came up with this creation?

Guest norb

I was at Buick at that time and dont remember hearing about this car before. The 53 ,yes but not the 54.It will be interesting to find out more about it.

Let's try to set the record straight. This lavender 1954 Buick Custom was at the 1999 BCA Nationals in Columbus, Ohio and the rumblings floating around there was that this Custom was built by a body shop in Wisconsin. Speculation was that it might have once been a 1954 Century two-door hardtop because of power steering, windows, etc. vs a Special (same wheelbase though). There was also an article on a red (Matador?) 1954 Custom similar to this lavender one written up in the BUICK BUGLE awhile back that I want to say was in the Oregon area. This is a popular style to duplicate and in NO WAY did Buick ever build one. The 1953 Buick Skylark Hardtop was a BMD factory job that was built to test the concept of possibly marketing a 1953 Skylark Hardtop design. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think I have a good memory......but it's getting short.

Mack from MANY-APPLES.

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Like Norb, I've seen the '53 hardtop, but am wondering about this one. Some things are well done on this, other things are incorrect. They didn't have tubular shock absorbers on the rear in 1954. They didn't have dual exhausts. The fuel filter is wrong. The power brake master cylinder and vacuum booster are much later than 1954. The air cleaner is 1954 vintage Oldsmobile. The radio is some modern electronic contraption with the wrong knobs. All of this leads me to believe that the car is a modern creation out of a couple of cars, as one of the writers above said. I think I would have chosen a more cheerful and attention-getting paint color! The interior door panels and the seats are nicely done.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

I agree with Mack and Keith. This sure looks like the one in Columbus in 1999. Too many things "wrong" or not in sync to what would reasonably have been expected to come from the factory. Hard for me to see but what is the name on the dash plate between the 2 circular instruments?? As Dave Corbin says "show me the numbers"!!

Guest kevinshea

As a 54 SL owner I have acquired a number of extra parts, including most of all the unique parts, or now know how to reproduce the necessary other items.

I have thought about how to build a HT like this from my "extra parts".. I have even though of creating a 55 HT SL

It looks to me that someone got themselves a 2dr century and simply changed out the sheet metal and unique parts. The car shown has the wrong seats and the windows are manual. The engine compartment is obviously updated. If this was factory, I cannot see Buick swapping out to lower level parts. Can't understand why this restorer would not use electric windows.

SL Body tags and vin numbers are actually available and these can be exchanged with other plates to make it look real. It seems that people cut out the important parts after making a decision that the car was not restorable... mine started out with no floors, so I am of the opinion that anything is restorable.

Another modified car was auctioned a few years back on BJ and it was missing many of the SL specific parts (including the SKYLARK letters on the trunk)

I believe the issue is one of realizing that the restorer does not have a pedigre on the car and thus modifies it.

A dash plate was recently sold on Ebay, so even those are available it you wait and have deep pockets. I tried to blow up the dash photo but can't be 100% positive what is says.