Cleaning heads and Blocks

Guest Mark Golding

Guest Mark Golding

Does any one have any suggestions on a solution to soak the heads and blocks in to help clean out the crud?

My heads are fairly blocked with what looks to be PEPPER? Has any one used Drano for removing this crud?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank You

MarkG

It could very well be pepper. I hear that it makes a good sealant in the cooling system

I would have the heads and block boiled by an engine rebuilder to clean out the residue.

I have also taken out the freeze plugs and used a pressure washer to get down inside

of the block and remove the settlements that collects there.

I would not try cleaning at home. It's almost impossible to get all the crud out of the water passages. My engine machine shop charges me I think $50 and then I have a clean block to work with (and heads)

If you are rebuilding the engine I would recommend taking all of the "stationary" (non-moving) engine parts, the block, heads, covers, manifolds to a Chem-strip type place rather than the local auto parts store. If it's from the 50's or earlier you may have rust built up on the cooling passage walls that is prohibiting the transfer of heat. I have cured chronic overheating engines this way, and wouldn't think of doing a rebuild without first having the chem-strip process done.

Guest Mark Golding

I thank You all , But did you look at the other post by me today there is a picture of this engine there. It's huge compaired with a V-8 or even a Lincoln V 12 this makes them look small,the piston bores are 4.25+-

This is the biggest engine I have done yet, I took the blocks and there are 2 of them for this engine to a local guy and he just laughed at the size and the size of his cleaning tank. I guess I'm going to have to find a truck engine shop.

I have rebuilt several Continental "6" cylinder engines out of old military 6X6's. They are huge, over 600 CI inline six. They have two 3 cylinder heads because they are so big you couldn't lift it if it was a one piece head. Doesn't matter how big the engine is, it's all the same procedure. Strip it down take everything to the auto machice shop and have it all hot tanked. Most machine shops do both truck and car engines, so it won't be a problem because of the size.....