Trunk Release

ccrowe

Last night I went to use the Reatta and as I approached it I heard a sound comming from the trunk. I soon discovered that the trunk release solenoid was being activated about every 30 seconds. There was noone in the car. It was shut off and parked. This continued while I drove to the convienience store and back. To get it to stop I had to disconnect the wire at the solenoid on the trunk lid. Any suggestions as to the cause and solution? Note: I haven't had need to use the trunk since disconnecting the solenoid. I'm not looking forward to crawling in to release the latch.<P>Chris

Someone seems to have this problem every couple of months. We make suggestions and never hear what fixed the problem.<P>It is probably the relay or the solenoid itself. Look for a disk about the size of a nickel in the trunk...this is the end cap on the solenoid, if that comes out it can cause problems...

Chris,<BR>I had same problem with my 90. <BR>Has the car been in the rain/water? <BR>Had suggestions from many including Barney and Padgett.<BR>Do a search on "Trunk Release Problem?" Date was 11-14-2001. <BR>You will see what I did to fix the problem!!<BR>5 days of scientific neglect fixed my problem!<BR>This solution has worked with others!! <P> <BR> rolleyes.gif" border="0

Barney and Jhellman,<P>Thanks for the replys.<P>I have printed the results of the search and now have 25 pages of ideas to work with. Although I have not read it all yet I have two comments;<P>Jhellman: "Scientific Neglect" did not work for me. Perhaps I did not try long enough.<P>Barney: I don't think it is evil spirits. Hence I can not turn the title for the car over to you as you suggested to another owner.<P>Happy Holidays to all.<P>Chris

Chris,<BR>I replaced the trunk/lid relay and checked all the fuses that were suggested. Nothing solved the problem. (Still possessed)!<BR>It was suggested that it could be the remote keyless entry module! (Which I didn't want to replace).<BR>I waited a couple more days before I was going to get into finding the problem. I thought there must be a short or bare wire under the relay box located on the right rear fender in the trunk. Before I started tearing in to the wiring, I plugged in the new relay again and it solved the problem. (The same relay that 2 days earlier did not solve the problem). <BR>I tried the old original relay and it worked too-no more problem! Unpossessed!!<BR>The car was in the rain for the first time since I bought it and that is when the problem started occuring! Other posts state similar occurrences with the rain/water!<BR>It has been over a month now and no problems. All the original fuses and relays are still being used! <BR>BTW, I (57 year old jelly belly and butter butt) did get good at reaching/crawling through the trunk access door to open the lid when I had the solonoid/relay disconnected. <BR> tongue.gif" border="0

Hi,<BR>I just had my 90 coupe washed at a carwash, i.e. outside and underneath, prior to winter storage. The next day my wife heard unusual sounds from the garage - the trunk release cycling. I'm going to use the "scientific neglect" approach for two weeks and then see what happens for now the battery is disconnected. I'm sure it will work next time as it has done this before. grin.gif" border="0

This topic was covered on the forum on 03/09/01,under "Trunk lid will not open"<BR>GM Ross was one of the many contributers that guided me in the right direction. My solution was covered in the topic "Trunk lid finally repaired" Dated 04/18/01. I dont do my own work but there is a lot of info there for those thst do.<BR>Joe cool.gif" border="0

Chris,<BR>Did you ever solve/fix your trunk problem? As an engineer you could design a set of pulleys and some cable to make a mechanical release through the trunk access door!! I might need the design the next time mine acts up!<BR>Hope you got yours fixed. tongue.gif" border="0