Starting Engine... Oil filter and lines '41 V-12

Paul K.

On this 41 I purchased 2 weeks ago I am preparing to start it for the first time in approximately 3 years or more. The engine is loose (not seized) and I have removed the spark plugs, put some oil in the cylinders and turned the engine over a fer times by hand. It turned easily with no stickiness. Next, I want to put in a battery and crank the engine with the plugs out until I have oil pressure then install the plugs and hope it fires. My dilemma is that I have heard of of the oil lines being clogged or getting clogged soon after start-up on engines that have sat. It didn't sit for a really really long time and the oil in the filter housing looks decent with no sludge. Should I pull the lines, oil pan, etc. or just drain the oil and install a new filter. BTW, where do I get an oil filter for this '41. Thanks!

Filter cartridges are still available, special order usually. NAPA can look them up. WIX still makes them. You won't have any problem with sludge getting "knocked loose." Change the oil and fire the old gal up. Watch the oil pressure and temperature. FWIW, oil pressure when hot can run as low as 10 psi and be within the accepted norm.

I extracted the 30+ year old oil filter from my rusty '41 Zephyr parts car last week. It's a Purolator P-34. I took this number to my local auto parts store and they came up with a Hastings LF101 filter which is a little bit shorter, but will probably work OK. They're NOT cheap! List price is $18.84 EACH. (Perhaps Auto Zone would have been cheaper). I also got a case of Valvoline 40W oil and am planning on changing the oil in my newly acquired '41 Continental today. I'll also add a quart of Slick 50 to the mix. This is a "fair weather car" only and 40W oil will be just fine in the hot Texas summers!

They also supplied replacement brake hoses - see the "brake hose" post by Flatcat for those numbers.

Guest ian418

Phil, Here Are Some Other Filter Numbers ;;; Fram C4 or C4P ..

NAPA Gold 1006 ....Hastings LF101 ....Purolater L30034 or P34...

There Are Plenty Of Manufactures Still Making Oil Filters for

Lincolns..It's not a Problem To get them .. CH