Need help with Fuel Pump

bhclark

I need help!

I removed my old fuel pump from my '40 Special.

I can't get the replacement one on?

The pump mechanism on the new one does not have as much travel as the old one and it is flatter, where the older one has a slight angle to it.

It appears to be hitting the piece inside the engine that actuates the pump, not allowing me to get the pump up high enough for the bolts to fit.

By the way, the engine is still in the car, so my work space is a bit cramped!

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Guest imported_JPIndusi

You say the replacement pump is flatter whereas the old one had an angle to it.

I assume you are referrring to the "rocker arm" which rides on the cam. This

must be exactly the same as the old one for proper operation. I would not try

to install this pump on the car. The replacement pump is not an exact replacement,

there is a problem with the replacement pump. It might be for a different engine

or model. The lack of movement may simply be due to the new diaphrams, the old

one was probably very loose.

Return the pump to the supplier and since you have both out, show them the

difference in the rocker arm.

Joe, BCA 33493

It is always a good idea to compare old and new parts before attempting installation of the new part.

I once bought a rather expensive rack & pinion assembley for a Dodge Durango and upon comparison, discovered the parts supplier shipped one for a Ford!

Thanks for the info, I'll have to inspect this a bit closer. They look identical except for the rocker arm and 1 uses flathead screws to secure teh covers, while the other uses phillips?

Is it possible that the cam is in a low position reducing the amount of space I have to fit the rocker arm in? Is it possible to rotate the cam to allow more space?

If I understand you correctly the arm of your original tips slightly down at the end furthest from the pump? Can you put your thumb between the arm and the bolt flange on your old pump?

Does the arm stick straight out or very slightly up on the new pump? Can you stick your thumb between the lever and the bolt flange of the new pump? If your thumb fits on the new pump and NOT on the old pump then your new pump is for a 320 engine.

Bill

• 5 weeks later...
Guest imported_JPIndusi

Based on your photo it seems that both the length and angle of the arms are different.

Some of our experts here will probably have an idea of what the replacement fits.

Joe, BCA 33493

Guest imported_JPIndusi

Critterpainter:

As I said in my previous post, one of our experts would recognize the application on the "new" pump.

I suspected that the new one was for a large 320 engine but wasn't sure. Now we know.

Joe, BCA 33493