"Such a DEAL!"

TG57Roadmaster

28755John_Tygard_Buick_Deal_Aiken_SC-med.jpg

Ever taken the time to go back to find where your DreamMobile was first retailed? If you have unrestored cars, often they'll have the chrome Dealer Nameplate attached to them. Such is the case of my '57 Buick Model 73, the <span style="font-style: italic">Roadmistress</span>. Assembled in Atlanta early in the run, she was sold new at John Tygard Buick, in Aiken, SC. On a sunny Sunday afternoon, heading back from a car show, we stopped at the Aiken Public Library to see if there was some dirt to be dug up on the dealership.

Knowing the approximate date of the November debut of the 1957 Buick line, it didn't take long to find an article in the newspaper microfilm, with a beaming Mr. Tygard himself in the showroom of his Richland Avenue Store. Fully decorated with banners, flowers and greenery, the grainy, dark copy of the photo clearly showed enough detail for the next step.

After a quick perusal of the 1957-58 City Directories, we had an address, a view of the showroom looking out, and the mission continued. Although, as is often the case, the street numbers had been changed, we soon found ourselves standing in front of the former Buick Deal, now shuttered, it's fate unknown. The signs cast about inside the razor-wired backlot fence indicated its last autos were Nissans, but the dealer had fled to the "highway," where all the action was.

In the scheme of things, does any of this matter, really? Probably not, but when you grew up in the north, with all its associated road salt and body/chassis rot, it's small consolation, indeed, to know your baby was "never driven in snow." Well, except for the occasional visit to the relatives at Christmas above the Mason-Dixon line. That kind of Provenance can only be Divined.

TG

435461-57BuickStonehenge2.jpg

post-43799-14313792498_thumb.jpg

Great topic, Tom!

Two of my three Buicks, including the '59 Electra, were sold new by The Baker Garage of Baker City, Oregon. The Baker Garage has operated as a Buick dealership continuously since 1913, and, during the last three decades, has taken on all the remaining GM lines as the other local GM dealerships eventually closed their doors. Since the beginning, the business has been housed in this same structure.

My grandfather purchased his first automobile, a new 1916 Buick touring from the dealership, and, since 1960, my parents have purchased five new Buicks and numerous GMC and Chevrolet pickups at the dealership.

The Baker Garage delivered my '59 Buick new to Gershon Neuberger, who died in 1960. The Neuberger family, famous local clothiers, stored the Buick at the Baker Garage for the greater part of the next thirty years, and it's there that I first noticed the car as a kid in the 1960's. It was always fun to check out the treasures in the dark storage rooms.

I shot this photo of the dealership in about 1980, shortly after the Oldsmobile and Cadillac franchises were added. The Victorian-era home next door was owned and occupied for many years by one of the dealership's early owners.

203baker_garage-med.JPG

Here's Mr. Neuberger's 1959 Buick, still wearing its delivery day paint job:

444018-jan27II.jpg

post-30629-143137924991_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a '67 Toronado in Canandiagua, NY a few years ago. It was a one owner, always local car. We passed some sort dealership on the way to the house to look at the car. When I got home and started to look through the folder full of paperwork that came with the car, there was the original sales order and bill of sale (both documenting it's rare bucket seats, btw...). When I googled the address, it turns out it was the dealership we had passed. It was the Oldsmobile dealership many years ago. Wish I had known than when we were there. Doesn't matter now, that car has moved on.

Paul

While living in the Rochester area I purchased my 1965 Dodge Dart Gt conv. I traced its beginnings to the Dodge Dealer in Brockport N.Y. One I drove out there and talked to the owner of the dealership. He remembered the car well, having sold it to a marina dealer in Spencerport. I asked if he had the original sales papers and he said they should be in the upstairs storage room. He said he would have his son go up and locate them and call me back. Lo and behold 2 days later he called. I quickly went out and begged him to let me take them to a local copy place and 5 sets and I would bring them back. Oddly enough he agreed. I brought back the copies and the originals. I handed him the originals at which point he floored me by saying, "give me a set of the copies for my records and you keep the originals", which I have to this day. The original bill of sale, the trade in sheet, and the order sheet. I also have the original build sheet from under the seat.