Standard Riv to GS-Style Suspension?

toomuchvinyl

Spring is on the way and I'm getting geared up to do some work on my '64. The front end needs attention so my thought was - As long as I'm having the work done, why not upgrade to GS spec steering box and spring rates? I see that the box is available on eBay and lord knows a quicker ratio would sure go a long way toward giving the car a more confidant feel. Has anyone else done this upgrade and if so, any words of wisdom to offer?

I put a three turn steering box in my 63 last summer. While it hasn't been driven a lot, it really does help the steering feel. It came from Performance Steering in Washington State. I believe he advertises in the Riview.

As to the rest, I know the springs are different and would like to know what else. Its a possible upgrade for my car too, along with poly bushings all around.

Good luck

Zimm

last summer we purchase a "GS" steering box from an ebay seller which I installed and was not very happy with the outcome..steering ratio was reduced from 3.5 to approx. 3.25 lock to lock and the tires now rub substancially more than they did before..previously I had a 3/8 inch spacers to accomodate newer style rally wheels. I have now added another 3/8 for a total of 3/4 inch with longer lug bolts and the tires still rub. This particular steering box is not right for this car.

I would be interested to know where the tires are rubbing and in what situations (i.e., bumps in turns, turns on level pavement)? If it's on the inside of the sidewall or otherwise and what size tires and wheels are on the vehicle? It could be that with the additional spacer, the tire is swinging in a larger arc as you move the steering wheel from "lock to lock" than if the additional spacer was not there. The "backspacing" of the wheel itself can play into this scenario too (otherwise and formerly known as "offset").

Some vehicles have "travel limiters" somewhere in the steering linkage/suspension knuckle or spindle area. I'm not sure if the early Rivs have them, but there has to be something somewhere in the steering system to perform that function other than the steering gear itself, I would suspect.

Just some thoughts . . . and curiousities . . .

NTX5467

Guest Chucks70

Keith,

If you are looking for a new steering box, take a look at this one...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

I had this installed in my 65' Riviera and it made a world of difference! I had slight problems with the tires rubbing, but I had that problem before the swap when the wheel was turned full lock. I think it has something to do with the radial tires and alignment more than it has to do with the steering box.

If you are swapping the box, don't forget to get a new rag joint. Try www.larescorp.com as they make an excellent replacement.

For springs, take a look at coil spring specialties( www.coilsprings.com ). They custom make the springs to the application. I haven't had any problems with mine and the car sits as it is supposed to.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for weighing in everybody. Your replys have given me some things to think about, some things to watch out for and some sources of components. The mentions of tire rubbing are of particular interest. Now I'm really curious as to whether there is a steering limiter or if this would occur with stock steel wheels and "close-as-you-can-get" radial tire sizing. Another upgrade I'd like to install is front disk brakes. The adapter brackets I've seen do come with a warning that the toe-in adjustment is changed but implies that stock adjustment can still be obtained. I'd just like to be sure that everything would work together correctly.

Just a note to clear up the rubbing of the tires...because of the newer style rally wheels with 225 R70,there was minimal rubbing on the frame, so I added a 3/8" spacer to compensate for the difference in offset which worked great. When I installed the quick ratio steering box that was purchased on e-bay, the rubbing, which only occurs in sharp turns, as in turning into a parking space, would rub so badly that it was stopping the car from moving! Both tires were rubbing simutainesly with one tire rubbing on the frame and the other on the brake reaction rod. I added another spacer for a total of 3/4" with the longer lug bolts and it still rubs but not as bad. I believe the steering box was rebuilt with incorrect components. I bave considered putting in stops somehow. The box was purchased from Morningstar Collectables and I have seen these "GS" steering boxes come up all the time. If anyone else has had simular problems let me know. Thanks.