getting the car running - off the road

Guest n1gzd

My Buick has been off the road for 17 years and I don't know the history of the car.

It does look like it has had some engine work (head looks like it may have been done at some point).

I have to replace the intake manifold (due to very bad crack probalbly due to stuck heat box). I did find a good one.

Anyway, I am in the process of stripping everyting from the engine and overhauling the stuff that I remove. I will try and paint the engine and other stuff as well because it looks kind of green instead of turquoise. I am planning on replacing the wiring harness. I will disassemble the wheel/brake assemblies and grease/replace rotating parts, safety related stuff.

I will change all fluids (including all engine, transmission and rear end fluids), squirt some WD-40 in the cylinders, flush the coolant and check for leaks.

I will replace the tires with radials (probably diamond back classics), and powdercoat the wheels.

General safety check.

See my questions in previous post about torque tube.

Am I missing anything major that I should at least check before trying to start and drive this car.

I know that it cranks because I tried that before I bought the car.

I am sure that I will discover many bad things along the way and some day I will of course overhaul the engine.

My main goal initially is to try and get it running and assess the condition of the car (and hopefully drive it a bit this summer). So again, am I missing anything that I should do before I damage something by starting it before checking the condition of it.

Thanks,

Rebecca

I think I would put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders through the spark plug holes, just to give it some top end lube while cranking. WD 40 is a water displacement spray. I would not consider this equivalent to a penetrating oil or lubricant.

Then I'd disconnect the gas line to the fuel pump and run the carb off a temporary gas tank set up.

You may be really surprised how well that engine will run with just fresh gas and a set of points. But being a 6 volt system, I'd either get a new battery or make sure the one I have is holding a full charge. It will run down fast if the car does not start.

JD

I forgot to mention that I have a new fuel tank and sender. I will replace all of the bad parts of the fuel system including the fuel lines if they look bad.

Yes. Fuel pump is on my list. I will probably send it to someone instead of trying to do it myself (because of the vacuum pump too).

When I first try running this car I am also going to plan on caping off the vacuum lines that go to the windshield wiper assy. I am assuming that it will leak and I am not going to rebuild that now.

Rebecca