Vacuum Wiper Motor seems to be manual

kd4gfy

The Maxi Vac Anco Wiper Motor Model MV1B in my 26 DB will go one way until I move the arm on the top ot the unit to the right or left. It will move right or left each time I move this lever. Is this unit a manual unit or should it move back and forth by itself? I would post a picture here but dont quite understand the image posting process.

Guest imported_RAH

Yes, as stated the wiper should go back and forth by itself. Carefully disassemble and observe the interior. Many of these old pot metal wiper motors may have pieces missing in spots that will allow vaccuum leak internally. Clean the insides and lubricate lightly with vaseline. and observe the little detent spring that swings the valves off center for the other direction. Good Luck.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

• 2 weeks later...

I had exactly the same problem. I took the unit apart and had found that whatever was used for lubrication had hardend from lack of use and would not let the internal swing arm go thru its cycle, stopping short of activating the valve for the opposite direction. I cleaned out the gunk, lubricated and now it works perfectly.

Guest groscap

Often times this can be fixed without disassembly. Usually this is caused by a clogged vent hole. For the vacuum motor to work it needs vacuum on one side of the flapper valve and air on the other, for this reason there are 1 to 3 vent holes on the wiper motor housing. You can clean the vent holes with a small rod, a paper clip will work, and spray some WD-40 in the holes to clean everything. Operate the wipers until they run smooth, then squirt some oil in the holes and run thme a little more to lube the flapper.