1949 Sedan

SpyderGuy

Greetings.

I am thinking about taking taking the plunge and buying a Packard. I am going to look at a car this weekend. I only have 3 pics of the car thus far, but I would be interested in thoughts on this model and any particular observations on this car. The owner mentioned that it had a resray a few years back, but that otherwise it is original. The interrior looks like it needs some work.

I am usually amazed by some of the things that others can notice in pics (I spend time on a couple of old Mercedes and Porsche boards).

Thanks,

RF

post-50577-143137921223_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_49packard

I assume you know it is a 22 series-I have a 49 23-basically the same. Good car easy to work on-parts readily available. The expensive stuff is the chrome/paint. I would buy a copy of the magazine that lists car values. The interior is fairly easy to work on. Check instruments to insure all are working.

From the pic-it looks good.

Guest Randy Berger

Do you have a shot at the front end? Do you have the serial number? If it is the high end 1948 it should have the fore and aft headliner. Make sure it still has the original engine if you are paying top dollar.

I don't think it's a Custom because the hubcaps aren't cloisonne and the Custom had two stainless trim pieces above the rockers not one. It looks like a nice car but be sure to inspect the usual rust out areas like rocker panels,inner fender liners and floors. Good solid reliable cars but if possible take someone with you familiar with the model. It does have a Cormorant which is a nice bonus!

Attached is a pic of the front end. I appreciate any additional info you may be able to generate from the pics.

I think the price is about $4500. When I was younger I always wanted a newer a faster sports car (had vipers, porsches...). As I get older, I am having more fun with less expensive, but more unique cars. The Packard would join a 1955 Porsche Spyder (replica) and 2002 Ford Thunderbird in my "weekend" garage.

I would rate my mechanical skills at a C+, but I enjoy doing the research. That being said, I don't have much time for research between now and Saturday (when I go to look at the car) - so any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks.

post-50577-143137921225_thumb.jpg

if the car is solid, 4500.00 is a good price, the car looks like it may be a super 8.ths sunvisor is a bonus. these cars have been unoticed by most, thus the low prices, I think these cars very soon will be jumping in price, they deserve it they are rugged cars, easy to do most work on, and give forth a regal feel going down the road. keep us posted.mike r

I agree with Mike. It looks like a nice car for the money. If it's a Super Eight it will have a 327 engine and if not a 288. The visor is a bonus but a bigger one to my mind is that the car has overdrive (notice the white knob under the dash by the steering column). If you can get the numbers from the dat plate on the firewall and get back to us. Good luck!

I agree with everyone in that $4500 is a great price if it runs well and has no rust issues. As Dave mentioned it would be helpful if you had another old car guy go with you to lay another set of eyes on it.

Take a flashlight and be prepared to crawl around under the car, engine compartment, etc.

Another thing to have with you is a small magnet to check for bondo/rust repair areas on the body.

Good luck with the purchase.

Guest imported_49packard

I like your numbers but I think they are very high-the last numbers I got for deluxe were:10000/7600/4300 for #1/2/3.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on becoming a Packard Owner. Here are a few things on the website that might be help when working on your '49.

1941-1949 Engine Service Manual

1948-1949 22nd Series Paint Chips

Complete Utltramatic Service Information

1949 Dealer Accessories Price Book

1949-1951 Ditzler Paint Chips

1949 Golden Anniversary Brochure

1929-1956 Packard National Automotive Service Data

1937-1949 Packard Bearing Data

Carburetor Service Training Manual

1949 Packard Owners Manual

1949 Service Technial Bulletins (STBs)

1947-49 Service Repair and Tuneup Booklet