More Sad News...Henry (Hank) E. Krusen

Henry Krusen, 85 died peacefully at his home in the Allentown, PA area on December 20th, 2006.

Hank Krusen was a Bronze star decorated veteran of WWII in the European theater.

Those of us from this antique car hobby knew him as ?Hank.? A friendly gentleman in the sense of a ?gentle man? who was very visible in past years of helping to build our hobby.

Hank was half of a 59-year marriage to Betty who until her death was also an active participant in the antique automobile hobby.

Hank was part of the early and original group of people who actively supported the early years of the AACA. Although not a founding member; he was early on the scene and was involved with the ?original members? who formed the AACA.

He loved the antique car hobby in both his working years and his retirement years.

Hank served as a class judge in the early 1970?s and was Vice-President of class judging for the AACA from 1974 to 1981. He became a director of AACA in 1975 and served on the National AACA Board until 1981. He was AACA President in 1978. During Hank?s presidency, Betty Krusen collected and edited and presented a National AACA Cookbook for the AACA and made a profit for them. Many across the country still use that red covered cookbook that included many of those good recipes. Hank and Betty tested many of those recipes in their own kitchen.

A memory of Hank to this writer was also his enjoyment of dancing and he was on the dance floor from beginning to end of every social in the car clubs.

Hank Krusen was still attending his local club activities (he and Betty had relocated to the Allentown area several years ago to be closer to their daughter), and attending the National AACA Meeting in Philadelphia up until two years ago. Hank and Betty always went to the Philly market and bought beautiful flowers for the serving table at the President?s reception on Thursday nights. Hank continued this tradition after Betty?s death.

Hank was the National AACA Board member who developed the concept of the ?Preservation Award? and did it to have award winners continue to show their vehicles.

Many serve quietly but with purpose in this hobby and Hank was one who did that.

The family has requested that donations may be given in memory of Henry Krusen to the AACA Library and Research Center, 501 W. Governor Road, Hershey, PA 17033

Tribute written by Fran Shore

Hank Krusen was my mentor in the AACA. He chose me to become National Judges Training Director (now called Chairman of Judges Training) in late 1976 and I served in that post in the years 1977-78. During his years as Vice President - Class Judging he was responsible for many of the modern rules we use in judging still to this day. In fact, he was responsible for more of what we now call judging then he will likely ever be given credit for. Prior to coming on the Board he was right hand man to Seth Pancoast, Sr., who was Vice President - Class Judging at the time of his untimely death. In fact he may have been Judges Training Director while Seth Pancoast,Sr. was VP - Class Judging. Before I took that post, George Liddell was Judges Training Director under Hank. Up until around 1978 when a car became a Senior, that was the end of the line. If it was shown again it received a pewtar plaque or cup. I suggested to Hank that there should be a "World Series" of Senior cars or something. He took that thought and designed, developed, and sold the Grand National Meet idea to the National Board, and along with it the Preservation class. John Shore of Media, PA helped him design the plaque for the new Preservation Class. When I became President I invited Hank and Betty Krusen to be my honored guests at the Philadelphia Banquet where I spoke. After leaving the National Board, Hank and Betty served on the Philadelphia Annual Meeting Committee, and I'm not sure the Trade Show was not his idea also. He was friends with many of the very early leaders from the Philadelphia area who put down the foundation of this great AACA as we know it today. He owned a Franklin automobile during the 1970s which he enjoyed, and yes, he did love to dance, and do my wife and I. Let it never be said that Hank Krusen was anyting less then one of those great leaders of my father's generation who made it possible for AACA to become the largest antique car club in the World. I am proud to have been able to call him my friend. Earl Beauchamp, Jr., Past President, 2004

Earl, You can add the Race Car Class 24 Judging forms to the list of judging upgrades Hank provided for AACA. Up until around the late 1970's race cars were judged using the production street car forms, today there is a far more detailed form for all race and sports race cars.