Help needed Pulling rear brake drums

Guest Mark Golding

Guest Mark Golding

Hi I am helping a friend pull the rear brake drums from his 48 Lincoln and can not get them to budge, we are trying to pull the drum off the axles , Question are the drums part of the taper part in the center of the hub? or are the drums just the drum section around the center hub casting, It's kind of hard to explain, when you remover that large nut on the axle and remove the washer do you pull the entire center out? These will not budge. We have tried a large puller on one side and I have a bearing puller on the other under a lot of pressure but they are not moving that's why I ask is the drum part of the center or does it come off someother way?

Please help if you know.

I bought one identical to ebay 180051434795. The same guy used to advertise on the early ford V8 club website, maybe still does. It worked great for me, works on the same principle as the K.R. Wilson puller but uses a flat bar against the center of the axle instead of the screw against the center of the axle. About half the price!

Guest moodier

Hi;

so I see the KR Wilson puller looks good but where do I get one.Little late as already ruuined both axles getting the drums off my 48 but still think better buy one if they are still available?Any idea where they can be found?Thanks.

Guest moodier

Thanks for the address Phil.Got 2 continentals so probably worth having on hand.My 48 presently sitting in shop they mushroomed the ends on both axles getting drums off.Now will pull them and try to have machine shop recut the threads seems to only way.He had a good puller but not one to protect the threads,the puller would have been much cheaper!!!!Can't blame them to much as looked at spare differential I have and I had ruined one to taking the drum off at some time!Thanks!

• 7 months later...

For those folks that don't want to spend the money for the specialized wheel puller, these are probably still available at Pep Boys, etc. I've had this "universal" puller for over 20 years but have never used it. I found it (NIB) today while searching for other stuff and just had to try it out. It really DOES work, but not as easily as the K.R. Wilson one.

Ooops! Under 20 years of dust, the box says "Craftsman" on it so I must have bought this puller at Sears. I wonder if they still sell them - they probably do.

post-32768-143137938631_thumb.jpg