Seeking info about 1911 Knox and Amplex cars

Guest stude8

A friend has acquired a 1911 Knox (I know, Knox chassis' were built out East) with an Amplex body that was built in Mishawaka, IN. He is seeking photos of any other surviving 1911 Knox - Amplex or Amplex cars of that era with 50HP, 4 cylinder, 4 cycle engine.

Earlier Knox's had 2 cycle engines.

There is a nice Knox Roadster with 6 cyl engine in the Browning Museum collection in Ogden, UT.

See it at http://www.brassauto.com/brass-pages/Knox-photos.html

Another 1911 Knox was sold at auction in Europe in 2004, see it here

http://www.christophgrohe.com/index-lan-ENG.html

Click on Archive Photos in top tool bar.

When photos open scroll down to Amplex 50CV Type H, Spider, 1911

It was sold in 2004.

Would like to hear of any others that exist at this date.

Stude8

There is a 1911 Knox touring car about an hour north of me, 4 cylinder,nice older restoration and current tour car.There was another fron the same era, and a rollong chassis that were around here as well, but they sold in the last 5-10 years. They were built in Springfield, Mass.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Stude8:

I remember seeing a Knox at Hershey 2006. Grat big thing, don't recall year bur ca.1910-1913

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Stude8:

I just looked at my Hershey 2006 booklet. The Knox was a 1910 and was in Class 13B in a "Do Not Judge" category. I'll send you a PM with the owner's name if you want it.

Regards, Dave Corbin

I looked at the first copy of HCCA Roster that came to hand (2000). There are two Amplex (called American Simplex, the original name, in MI and AZ. There are probably 12-15 Knox listed of that era, plus a number of eearlier ones. From memory, Amplex was 2 stroke. There have been features on both makes in HCCA Gazette. Look on their site for the listing. I tried last night, but for some reason I couldn't download it. (I am a member.) I am not quite as good with computers.

Ivan Saxton

Ivan and Mark:

Thank you for your inputs relative to the Knox car search. The car my friend has acquired is a 1912 Knox chassis with a same period Amplex custom body. What history we have learned indicates many changes in ownership and name took place with Amplex Co. (Mishawaka, IN) in the time period around 1910-15 due to confliction with the other unrelated company American-Simplex.

Any Knox prior to 1911 would not bear much similarity to the 50HP 1912 Knox machine, so keep our direction of interest in that time perod. Attached is the only photo I have available of the car at this time, it is probably taken 15 years ago. Stude8

post-31139-143137912121_thumb.jpg

Well, I finally got photos of the 1911 Knox / Amplex car we have been speaking about, see attached image. Now there is a question of what would be a more appropriate color to paint the present Cream color chassis areas and wheels?

A factory photo in Beverly Kimes Knox history in Automobile Quarterly shows a similar vehicle that is an all dark color scheme (photo is obviously only black / white image from 1911). Stude8

post-31139-143137912123_thumb.jpg