question on 55's

jscheib

A general question. Someone told me about the availibility of a '55 Century convertible with a three speed manual shift. How rare where these? I checked and see manual transmissions were used in the M-1 Fireball Roberts race cars, but I wonder how rare this is. I understand this car is quite rough, but might be worth saving. Any comments? Thanks.

I believe only about 5% of Buicks came with the synchromesh transmission and not the Dynaflow. If I remember right, the Century got a stronger trans than the Specials did, in which case, you have a nice set-up.

The were frequently bought to haul a trailer or haul a#$...

Doug Cook

John,

That would be a very desireable and rare car. Out of all the BCA national meets and car shows I have attended in nearly 30 years, I have only seen three stick-shift 1955 Centurys, and they were all 2-dr. hardtops. There was one at the Phoenix, AZ. national meet in 1992 (?) or 1993 (?), and I know of two in the Dallas, Texas area (one is in not so good shape). If you have ever driven a V-8 Buick with standard shift, the transformation over a Dynaflow-equipped car of the same year is just amazing. A stick-shift Century would be quite a runner, and to have that in a convertible--wow!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338