1968 Cutlass S Holiday Coupe Shoulder Belts Standard???

harrydunn

Actually, 1968 was the first year that front seat shoulder belts (along with side marker lights) were federally mandated, so yes, a 68 should have them. Note that shoulder belts were optionally available prior to 68, but all 68s (except convertibles) were required to have them.

Shoulder belt law took effect on Jan. 1 1968 so a '68 model year car built in calender year 1967 was not required to have them. Look at the build date on the Fisher cowl plate, if the month is 08, 09, 10, 11, or 12 it was still an option. 01 and later builds were required to have shoulder belts.

Henry

As I noted in my earlier post, convertibles were exempted in the Federal regs. On the other hand, shoulder belts (front and back) were optionally available in convertibles (at least according to the Fisher Body manual) but I've never seen one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if I had (have) factory shoulder belts in my '71 Cutlass Convert . . it would be a bit special? </div></div>

Yup. They were a seldom-seen factory option that year.

Guest rocketguy

There was a black '67 442 at the Oldsmobile Centennial Celebration in Lansing that had them. VERY VERY rare option. The first year shoulder belts were available was '66. I have a '66 Freemont car that does not have them but it is prepped for them as evident by the hole punched in the cowl tag. I have forgotten what the build date on the car is. Incedently, the car was ordered with deluxe belts and PB but came with neither.