71 cutlass cowl cover

dmurf

I have a 71 cutlass convertible, and on top of the cowl, the part that the rear of the hood covers when closed, there is a wire mesh- type screen that looks real crappy. Ive seen other cutlasses at the cruise nights, they have the same thing, so im assuming this is factory. Am I correct that this is a factory part??

Yes it is. It's called a cowl screen and it's purpose is to keep leaves and other debris out of the cowl air ducts. If it isn't there you'll probably have plugged heater and evaporator cores very shortly. Since airflow thru the cowl ducts also air-flushes the rocker panel areas on these cars, without it those ducts will get plugged with debris and you'll eventually have rust issues due to accumulated garbage in there. Leaves get wet, leaves don't dry out or get blown out, rust follows.

Some years have moulded plastic cowl grilles instead of the wire mesh. It's one of those parts designed for function, not appearance since it's covered with hood closed.

Hello: Allow me to introduce myself, I am Mike and have been building, restoring and racing '68 through 72 cutlass cars since 1977. I can't count how many cutlasses I have owned but, I never saw one that came with other than the metal mesh screen for a cowl cover. If you insist on original it is the only way to go. However, at a recent Puget Sound chapter Olds show I was introduced to the after market plastic cowl cover inserts. A fellow there had it on his '70 W30. It looked great and I plan to replace my original style screen with one of these for my '71 Supreme. They can be had from Year One. This is a catolog company that can be reached at 1-800 year one. If you call them they will send you a book, or you can reach them on the internet. I have used them for the last 9 or 10 years with great satisfaction. Good luck with your Cutlass. Maybe one day we will meet. Mike

i saw the ones on year ones site. I know that it is a cowl cover, but the factory one just looks so cheezy, like someone took some chicken wire and screwed it in. i just didnt know if this was a factory part, or if someone just stuffed any old screen there. I think ill get the plastic one, too, since when the hood is open, it is very visible. thanks for the replies

Dan

The plastic cowl screen/cover was used on Chevelles and GTOs, which is why Year One carries them. They are NOT correct for an Oldsmobile, but can be used if you prefer. All 68-72 Cutlii came from the factory with the metal screen. Note in particular that the factory screen has a formed "dome" above the wiper motor to clear the crank arm. It is very difficult to find this part in good condition. Hardware store screen that I've been able to find does not have the correct hole size. Don't destroy the part if it's not damaged.