coil pack module

Hello fellow reatta freaks. I am pretty sure I have two bad coils...(I am taking this from what two seperate mechanics have told me) I am just wondering how hard is is to replace the module. Is this something I should try myself (I have VERY basic mech knowledge) If this is feasable to do myself, is there anything i should look out for? <BR> If possible, a quick response would be great. I am about to go get someone to replace it. thanks alot grin.gif" border="0

Gotta,<P>So easy, even a MUSICIAN could do it (sorry, just had to have a little fun with ya!)<P>Take the spark plug wires off (marking them, of course!), remove the screws holding the coil pack to the ignition module and it's off! You'll find several wires attaching the coil pack to the ignition module; they just slip right off. While you are at it, go ahead and look at the expoxy on the top of the ignition module. If it has what appears to be air bubbles caught in the epoxy, replace it. The ignition module is held in place with three bolts you can easily reach under the module. Both parts are readily available at Auto Zone, Advanced Auto Parts, Pep Boys or Full Service in San Antonio. Most parts stores offer a lifetime warranty on the coil pack and ignition module, so you'll only pay for this once. <P>If you can afford it, I'd recommend replacing the spark plugs and plug wires while you are doing all of this other stuff. <P>If these parts are all bad or going bad, once replaced, you won't believe how much better the car runs! <P>Joe

Hey Joe! A fellow san antonian, AND a reatta owner? Sweet cool.gif" border="0 Thanks alot for the info. I really apreciate it. I am about to replace it right now, even though it's 200 degres outside. Must not be hard if EVEN a musician can do it wink.gif" border="0 Once again, thanks for the info. <P> -josh

btw, what year / color is your REATTA? I have seen two hear in s.a. A blue one, and a white one. Just wondering if one of those was you.

ok another dumb question..what kind of a screwdriver do i need to do this. it is a wierd star-shape head, that I unfortunately do not have.

If you've got bubbles in your expoxy then you'd better replace the trans-phase inverter. String your phrygian and dorian scales together and turn your screwdriver into a torx and while your at it get me that same lifetime warranty on electronic parts, along with some self tapping replacement screws.<P>--------------------------------------<P>"Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear"<P>1976 Pacer<BR>1977 Yugo<BR>1978 Horizon<BR>2001 John Deer

My coil pack screws are T-25. Would suggest getting a Torx set (T-10,15,20,25,30) as there are quite a few on the Reatta (headlight covers are T-15) and you can find inexpensive sets even at K-Mart.

Ah yes, another unregistered 7-year-old who figured out how to turn the big computer on. Go outside and play in the street, little boy, the grownups need to talk now. <P>Padgett, thanks for supplying the info. Gotta, the unregistered users are one of the few distractions about this forum. <P>Joe

and a red one for the moment. <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592995611&r=0&t=0" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592995611&r=0&t=0</A> <BR>Anyone recognise those wheels - look like stock GM. Must have been fun getting 15" tires on 16" wheels 8*).

well first it may help to know that Texas is the other state I will live in - consider SA the nicest city in the US that you cannot get to (my current job requires proximity to a world-class airport).<P>Earlier in this thread there was a comment about there being two Reatta's in SA - a white and a blue. Was just pointing out that there is apparently a red one just noth of the city also (Converse) and that I liked the wheels.<P>So was really just a continuation of an earlier post. Nicht wahr ?

Yep, even us 7 year olds can own Reatta's.<BR>But we won't play in the street because you 70 year olds might run us over with your bad eyesight. Ah yes, I go now baloney man. I see you're about as sharp as a basketball and twice as goofy.<P>---------------------------------------<P>" I'd challenge you to a dual of wits, but I refuse to battle an unarmed "man"."<P>1976 Pacer<BR>1977 Yugo<BR>1978 Horizon<BR>2001 John Deer <BR>2001 750 hp Winston Cup Chevrolet<BR>2002 Whas up!!!!!!!

Not to interupt the chiding, but has anyone had experience with adding performance parts to the coil pack, such as is made by MSD ignition. It is time to change wires, and i was going over to MSD, but wondered about the coil packs and their other stuff.

ANON,<P>I'd say he's a one-boy comedy festival! <P>As for the question about ignition add-ons, the only ones that I could recommend are the ones made by Jacobs. <P>The Jacobs system seems to be based upon the idea of firing the spark plugs multiple times during the compression stroke. Numerous users here in San Antonio have called in to a local car care radio show claiming big improvements in performance, economy and low-end power. While I haven't used it, nor am I associated with them in any way, I'm impressed with the comments. Here in Texas, people are NOT shy with there opinions about something that is NOT working, so Jacobs seems to be the real deal. <P>One shop that installs the system, Cambridge Automotive, even offers a "click and drive" offer. You go in, they "click" the system into your car's ignition system, and then let you go drive the car for a few minutes to see if you like it enough to buy it. Now THAT is marketing!<P>One thing I've never been crazy about are ECM chips that enrich the fuel mixture, advance the engine timing and move the transmission's shift points on cars with electronically-controlled transmissions. The extra fuel lowers gas mileage, and puts extra strain on the emissions system. Advancing the timing is OK if you don't get into pre-ignition problems, which can lead to a burnt piston, especially in hot weather(been there, done that!) <P>There may be other systems out there that offer distinct advantages. Some of the members of the forum may have tried them, also. <P>Joe