'31 Wiring Loom

Guest 1956Packard

Guest 1956Packard

I am just recovering from a hard drive failure. I had been e-mailing a company which reproduced wiring looms for pre war cars.

Unfortunately I didn't save the name of the company on a piece of paper. Anyone have any guesses - I think the name had 'Red' in it somewhere??

Thanks

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

Who is Potomac Packard and why are harnesses so expensive? My name is J.P. McVicker (I am a Life member of the Packard Club and have 5 Packards from 1924-1955) and I have owned and operated Potomac Packard for over 30 years. During that period of time we have manufactured and supplied literally thousands of Packard wiring harnesses, cables and wiring supplies. At Potomac Packard our slogan is "Proudly Perpetuating Packard's Policy of Engineering Excellence". We only do Packard wiring (no other makes) and use the Packard Motor Car Company engineering blueprints as the prime basis for the information necessary to make our Packard wiring harnesses and cables. These are the same engineering documents Packard supplied to the original vendors who made the harnesses/cables for your Packard when it was new. We like to think that when it comes to accuracy, quality and customer satisfaction, we are the leader in Packard wiring harnesse/cables. Feedback from customers bears this out.

Harnesses are expensive because they are virtually all hand built (in America!!!) and use the finest materials available. Automation in this product is difficult to incoprorate (braiding is done mechanically, but on machines whose technology is a century old!) and since restoration requirements for harnesses are one at a time, no economy of scale can be gained. Actually, wiring is one of the best 'bangs for the buck' in restoring you car. Compare the cost of wiring with plating, painting, engine/transmission overhaul, etc and you will likely find it is one of the least expensive of any major system restoration on your car.

1956 Packard--whatever vendor you choose to go with, send them your harness out of the car and tell them THAT is what you want maufactured, rather than buying a harness by year/model designation out of a catalogue. I learned this the hard way. A friend who operates a busy restoration shop near me tipped me off to this. He will only buy harnesses that way. Reason: auto manufacturers make running changes throughout the year, an early production car might not have the same harness as a late production car. You can also have wires added should you desire to install turn signals, etc.