Fancy Brass Hood Ornament? What type of car.

SteamShovel1923

Based upon the length of the pen cap and dime dia. reference points, it appears to be roughly 16.875" long.

Is it a solid piece, or, a stamped part?

What is the weight?

Bronze, or, brass appearance?

Does the "door knocker" piece hinge like a handle?

Any "drilled holes" for mounting purposes?

The "1" you note on the back side could more than likely be an "impression number". An impression number is normally used for any foundry related cast product. The impression number is used to identify any potential molding problems with a particular impression, should the working pattern have multiple impressions to cast multiple, identical parts. (i.e.--Impression 1 of 6 created a defect. The remaining 5 Impressions poured created acceptable castings. The foundry can go back and re-work Impression #1 to fix the defect.)

Peter J...

I have figured it out, it came off a 1880's Victorian Queen Ann style library table. There were four of these, one on each leg. I've seen these at auctions. The piece is solid brass and of course heavy. It has two attachment bolts in the back and the part that looks like a door knocker does not move and is to close to the main body to be a drawer pull. Check out the photo I have a very similar table to the one this fits and never knew it until now. Tell me what you think.

Thanks Dan

post-45158-143137905411_thumb.jpg

Guest bkazmer

the center part looks to be a somewhat stylized fasces. I'm no furniture expert, but the revival of classical Roman motifs was big in Empire style.