Yuck, Transport Blues!!!!

Anybody have any good websites for Rick to check out for his needed parts?<P>Hey Peter, what about a bulletin board for automotive websites we find while surfing the internet. Maybe we could help someone find the part they need that way. Just a thought.<P>I think this post should start page five now and probably set a new record. grin.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0<p>[ 05-02-2001: Message edited by: novaman ]

Peter J ~ My take on the whitewall issue is slightly different. The US didn't enter the war until the end of 1941 and the '41 model cars began delivery in late 1940. My '41 Cadillac was delivered in Feb. '41 with whitewalls, double sided I believe. Being a Conv. sedan it was pretty top of the line, <B>BUT</B>, I also have a factory photo of the conv. sedan and it had US Royal blackwalls. I believe black was standard equipment on almost every car and it had nothing to do with the coming war. Whitewalls were basically an accessory.<P>Now to Ricks car. the Royal was the bottom of the line and a 2 door sedan was not a luxury model, so no doubt it came with blackwalls. Were it mine that is what it would get now. We all generally start in the hobby wanting to dress up the car and whitewalls do that. Only later do we begin to think original may be preferable.<P>Just one man's opinion. smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 <P>By the way, my war years memories are first hand. It started when I was 9. frown.gif" border="0 ~ hvs<P>PS. It has been SNOWING all day here in Cheyenne, about 6" so far, so with nothing better to do I have dabbled on the forum off and on all day. rolleyes.gif" border="0<p>[ 05-02-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

HVS: I believe you are right about whitewalls on the higher line cars. The pictures of the custom series Chryslers in 41 all have WW tires. <P>Snowing, huh? Here in New York today it is 90 degrees and Sunny.

I have in my hot little hand the large, full color sales brochure for all of the 1941 Cadillacs. Of coures all pictures are drawings, BUT every one has whitewall tires.<BR>HOWEVER, the picture of the engine and chassis is shown with blackwall tires and as I said before, my 8x10 glossy, taken on the roof of the GM factory shows the conv. sedan in black with a black top and blackwalls. I have NEVER seen one done like that in real life.<P>I also have the salesmans Data Book and all pictures of the cars have whitewalls, but the pictures of chassis are all with blackwalls, clearly US Royals. In the section offering comparisons with Lincoln and Packard, they are both shown with whitewalls.<P>That's all I can add right now, based on the stuff I have on the '41s.<P>hvs

After listening to this informative discussion, I have opted for black walls. I found blackwall firestones in 6.50 - 16 locally for only 70.00 each mounted. I'll have them put on wednesday. Thanks for the info!<P>Rick

HVS: Interesting about the WW tires. All the sales brochures for my Packard show WW tires (even state they are a $21 option in 1948). Yet all the Packard Serviceman's training guides I have all show the cars with blackwalls!<P>BTW: How did Packard compare with Caddy in 41? I am curious.

Chris ~ Email me a mailing address and I will copy the pages and mail them to you.<P>HVScotyard@aol.com<P>Howard

Can you give us the name,address and etc. from the shipping invoice if you received one? Glad you finnally received your car.