Yuck, Transport Blues!!!!

Sorry for the delay, very busy weekend! I left a wedding reception I was at because I couldnt stand to be away from the phone on Saturday nite. Around 11pm the phone rang and it was Dusty, he was in York!!!! I drove out to meet him not wanting him to get away this time! It was almost 11:30 pm when I first layed eyes on my Chrysler! She was on the carrier with two other cars. After the initail shock of seeing her wore off, the realization of other problems surfaced. First the damage... The passenger rear fender cover ( a large rubber type thing ) was ripped off or torn away in transport. A front blinker/parking lens was cracked and broken also. I hope there not expensive, I doubt I'll see any help from Whatever the name of this darn trucking company is. Besides these issues, the car was covered in oil and grease from the cars that were above her, not to mention the HUGE amount of dirt and grime covering the entire car. The mechanical issues are as follows: blinkers don't blink, the battery was dead, so I had to leave car in a parking lot till I could get a 6v battery today. One of the two hood releases is broken in the linkage ( sorry not too mechanical ) so I can only open one side of the hood. Worst of all and most likely highest costing is the replacement of the bald bias dry rotted tires! I really wanted to take the kids for ice cream today, but I fear the safety aspect. The engine sounds good though. Over all I'm a little dissapointed, but happy to see the car in my driveway nonetheless. It'll be at my work all day tommorow if you want to drop by and see it. I work in York at Jack Giambalvo Jeep on Whiteford rd just off of Rt 30 next to Beasley Ford and close to the Galleria mall. I'll keep you updated on my struggles to get the damage fixed! But, I woulnt hold my breath waiting! THANK YOU ALL!!!!!<P>Rick grin.gif" border="0

Not enough time to post all the info of this adventure above, look for an article to come of it soon as I find out how. I got the car cleaned up and other then the usual expected flaws in a lower priced collectable car, she looks ok. The tires have me worried, I don't think I can afford replacements any time soon. I'd hate to miss the summer fun, but it's not safe to take my family in. I'll drive it to work the next couple of days since I live only 1.2 miles from where I work. I'm peeved about the damage, but really don't expect the trucker or dealer to help in any way ( would you after all this?? ) The new battery seems to work ok, and she started on the first try everytime today. I look forward to meeting you all soon! Thanks again for everything, and while I was a true nervous wreck, I hope you were all entertained by the saga we shared together as DFers!!<P>Sincerely,<BR>Rick smile.gif" border="0

Rick:<P>Over lunch time, I will be over to take a digital for the DF'ers, if you are around.<P>Please adise if this is suitable with your schedule.<P>Regards, Peter J. smile.gif" border="0

Rick,<P>Glad to hear that the Chrysler has made it HOME. <P>Sorry about the problems observed with the car. The shipment could have resulted in tearing off the rubber stone guard from the rear fender, certainly the grease and oil from other cars, and of course the dirt.<P>The blinkers not working, battery dead, hood release problem and of course the tires being bad, and maybe the missing stone guard - all probably existed before the car left the sellers hands. I would talk to him. <P>All of the above are solvable with the help from Chrysler knowledgable friends. I think getting the car to your home at all is the big plus here. Thrive on it and then begin a cool collective step by step approach to resolve the items needing repair etc. Suggest you talk to Rick Hoover who is fairly close to you and have him look at the car and suggest steps forward. <P>Good Luck - Glad the saga is essentially over. <P>Chuck cool.gif" border="0

Rick ~ What you got off of that trailer most likely does not come as a surprise to most of us. You have in effect been mildly screwed by both the seller and the transporter. That is why we were all holding our collective breath waiting to see what finally arrived at your door. <P>Let this be a lesson to you and others. Don't buy a car you have never seen [or at least had inspected by someone you know and whose judgement you trust] and don't trust an unknown to deliver the goods. If you can't haul it yourself, spend the bucks and have the job done by a known, reliable transporter with an established reputation for good and honest service.<P>Finally, if all of this puts the car out of your price range, you shouldn't be buying it in the first place. Economics 101. smile.gif" border="0<P>Now, at least I can get back to my regular life. Following this has been interesting and fun, but I'm moving on to other things.<P>hvs smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Glad to know you finally got the car. smile.gif" border="0<P> Now I can rest easier too. I've been checking the progress all this time, when I got up, when I got home from work and before I went to bed.<P>Check on seeing what you can get for the damge that was done but, don't worry yourself over being anything. The main thing is your baby's home and the damage is relatively minor considering what could have happened. This will make a good story to pass on to your grandkids someday. grin.gif" border="0

I'm at work from 9:00 to 8:30pm all day tommorow. Feel free to stop by anytime for coffee and car talk! HVS, I understand the economic issues, I really do, but sometimes the heart is faster than the head! I'll make the best of it and get whatever parts I can so as not to be too embarrased at the cruises and such. I'll consider this entire thing a REAL life experience. I must admit, unless I see a car from now on, I won't buy any over the internet or have one hauled by some unkown shipper! Much thanks to all, and if your close to York PA stop by and say hi!!!!!<P>Thank,<BR>Rick rolleyes.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Congratulations on the delivery of your new pride and joy, and belated anniversary wishes as well. <P>These cars are like kids -- the ones who have them always love them best. Others may wonder how you can love them so much, but that's their problem!<P>I spent the weekend disconnected from the outside world, and all kinds of things happened when I wasn't looking. So, what's the next interesting thread? smile.gif" border="0 <P>Jan K.

Congratulations on getting the Chrysler finally in your driveway! Have been watching this thread for several weeks - on to other discussions. <P>I was told the AACA forum was great - know I know. <P>By the way, HVS, you mean you have a "regular"life? grin.gif" border="0

Congratulations, Rick! We're all glad your car arrived in one piece even if it is need of some repair. Think of the time you'll spend working on her as a sort of get acquainted period. And don't worry, you'll be taking those kids out for ice cream before you know it! Now, back to the real world for me... grin.gif" border="0<P>Patty K.

Guest rcirilli

Well Rick don't be to hard on yourself or the car. It's all a learning experience and you will have some very special memories as time goes by. <P>Think of it this way, you live in an area with some of the best mechanics alive and I would wager they have all had something that started out worse.<P>Best of luck.<BR>Bob

Folks, I feel very privileged to have driven over and met Rick today. Very nice man.<P>We went over his Chrysler and he bought a very sound car, so, some good has come out of this very unfortunate experience.<P>Assured Rick, that the AACA is unusual, in that no matter what resources one has or what walk of life one comes from, we are unique in having a common interest.<P>I have taken about 8 digital photos. It is now 5:58 p.m. (E.S.T.) in Reading, PA. I will download them and e-mail to Peter G. for posting.<P>Regards, Peter J. grin.gif" border="0

OK. It is 6:45 p.m. (E.S.T.). <P>I e-mailed the photos to Peter G. Hopefully, they all went through.<P>There is a photo showing the "stone guard" and R.H. turn signal bezel that is broken.<P>Possibly someone could help Rick here.<P>Regards, Peter J.

I have just checked my Steele Rubber Products catalogue, and cannot find the fender shield rubber listed. However mine is a 1998 edition, so there might be something new since then. Their website is <A HREF="http://www.steelerubber.com." TARGET=_blank>http://www.steelerubber.com.</A> <P>You might also try Metro Moulded Parts. I have not found their stuff to be up to the level of Steele's, but if they have it, that's better than nothing.<P>Hope this gives you a start. If Steele doesn't make it, they might just know who if anyone does.<P>Can you tell if it is mounted with clips or if it is cemented to the fender? In either case you have a little metal work to do first. smile.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Bill, <BR>Fuzzy dice was only available as optional equipment in '47 and didn't become OEM standard until 1954 or 1955. I believe you can still buy N.O.S. Fuzzy Dice. wink.gif" border="0 <P>Rick, <BR>Very happy to see the car at home with you in York and yes, it does look great! With a little time in searching, you'll be able to locate those parts you need.<P>Rick

Wow - nice looking ride-now for the finish-I'll bet the shipping company and dealer are banking on you being so happy to get the car that you'll not follow through with some post-event reporting. Its important that you register formal complaints with all the right people (including hobby publications). You (we) have tremendous power as customers, but the problem is that statistically, 0ver 90% of unhappy customers never complain. Together we can ensure this outfit doesnt get any more AACA business. We all need to remember the names involved. Thanks for keeping us all up-to-date. Looking forward to seeing you and the car at a future meet. Perhaps the Johnstown PA meet? Happy motoring. Terry smile.gif" border="0

Hi everyone! It was my pleasure to meet Peter yesterday. Later in the day One of our mechanics put the car on a lift and greased it, replaced a vacuum hose, filled the tranny fluid, and then cleaned the carb for me! Looks like the tires will be replaced tommorow I found 6.50 - 16 Firestones at Penn Tire in Dallastown for only 70.00 each installed and balanced. Eventually I will get the rear brake lines, exhaust, and front tie rod ends replaced. Floors seem solid, but I will most likely POR 15 them just to be safe. I think I'll be spending many years in the drivers class!!! Thanks again everyone, I appreciate all the help and maybe I'll see you at a meet soon!<P>Rick

OOps almost forgot! The fender covers are bolted on. The rusty metal is some sort of backing for the cover that then is bolted onto the fender. I understand they may have been optional equip, so If I can't find them I may just lose them. Thanks for the site advise HVS, I'm heading there next.<P>PS: Fuzzy dice were a very rare option on a stock chrysler of that period. From what I hear perhaps even more rare than those early Hemis LOL!!!!<P>Rick smile.gif" border="0

Rick ~ I cant help but think they were standard equipment, though I could be wrong. Their purpose was to be a stone shield. They came into being when running boards disappeared. The running board prevented road stones from being thrown up against the leading edge of the fender, so without them there had to be some form of non marring protection on that leading edge.<P>hvs

Guest John W. Harvey
grin.gif" border="0 Tom,<P>I wish I could provide some info on Passport Transport...sorry! However, I do have another thought....if you buy a brand new 2001 model here in the U.S. and have Rick's buddy Dusty from "who are we today transport", deliver it to you in Germany, it will without a doubt be AACA eligible before you take delivery! How old did you say you are?<P>John tongue.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Guest John W. Harvey

Rick and Sue,<P>You have only had the car for about 3 days and already things seem to be falling into place. I'm happy for both of you. The car looks good! It is not often that I go to an AACA meet with the intent of searching out 1 car on the show field....but this year will be different! I can't wait to see this car in person and to meet both of you.<P>On a personal note: I hope that Sue enjoys the car and the hobby as much as you seem to enjoy it Rick. I am fortunate that Cindy, my wife, and my 2 daughters enjoy my (our) 2 cars and the hobby as much as they do. My oldest daughter is looking forward to once again going to the National Monte Carlo Owners Association convention/show in June. My youngest daughter is already making plans for Hershey! grin.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0 <P>Enjoy! John grin.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

There are a few people reproducing and/or repairing 1930s Chrysler product running boards. Maybe one of them would be able to put new rubber on your old stone guard cores. I've heard a fellow named Hundley Acuff does good work (at a pretty high price). I can dig up his number if you need it. I think he has a small ad in the Plymouth Owner's Club magazine.<P>You may also want to join a Chrysler specific club to find leads to parts. One such club (which I do not currently belong to) is the <a href="http://www.pacificcoast.net/~wpc/">W.P.C. Club</a>. This is actually not a Chrysler specific marque club but rather a club for all makes and models produced by the old Chrysler Corporation including such names as DeSoto and Maxwell.<P>If you are unsuccessful in finding good original or reproduction guards, maybe you could repair the ones you have. The stone guards look like a plain surface. No design or ribs on the rubber. So they might be possible to make at home. Two possibilities come to mind:<ol>[*]Could you get a sheet of rubber the correct thickness and glue it on? The compound curve might make it a bit tough, but it might be possible. My local hardware store carries sheet rubber, you might check yours.</li>[*]You can get liquid ureathane (sp?) rubber that can be poured into moulds. It bonds very well with metal. It might be possible to mould new rubber onto your repaired metal backing pieces.</li>

<P>Best of luck with your new baby (car), and happy belated anniversary.<p>[ 05-01-2001: Message edited by: Tod Fitch ]

Guest 18DodgeBrothers

Tom,<BR>As Rick stated, you have no worries with Passport Transport! Earlier in this thread I mentioned that we used them to transport our 1918 Dodge Brothers touring from Minneapolis MN to Cambridge OH (about 850 to 900 miles). They were able to schedule the pickup within 10 days and it was delivered here in less than 48 hours after pickup in Minn.(and they had other stops to make). Very clean, large enclosed van. The driver and his wife were excellent in handling the vehicle. It arrived in great condition. I would not use any other.<P>Rick - glad you have the car! We were concerned that you weren't going to see it.<BR>We'll look you up when at Hershey this fall.<P>Les

Ive heard of the shipping company youre using ( perhaps in this thread?) I didn't hear anything bad about them, but when you get your car, I'll be glad to compare notes! My wife enjoys the older cars although she likes those new fangled modern things like air and power windows! My most enjoyable moments in the older cars are going to dinner, cruises, and the fellowship enjoyed at car shows. I am currently searching for those stone guards, so far no luck. Anyone have any other suggestions? I hope to meet you all soon, and look for article about these experiences in an upcoming issue! <P>Sincerely,<BR>Rick

~~Rick in York: Congratulation to your car. Looks really nice.<BR>~~Rick: Thanks that you calm me that it is a good company. This is always an advanture if I get the car in the same condition as I bought it.<BR>I checked out their website ( <A HREF="http://www.passporttransport.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.passporttransport.com</A> ) and it looks not bad. A bit like Horseless Carriage which have a good service.<BR>The car ( 1930 Buick ) goes to Newark/NJ. Transport to Germany shall takes 10 days. <BR>I do this transport again with Cosdel and they make a good job. Not very cheap but good.<P>Tom<p>[ 05-01-2001: Message edited by: ThomasBorchers ]

Guest rcirilli

Rick is it substantially original ? And just a word on those dice, from first hand knowledge, they may have come out in the fifties but who could afford a fifties car in the fifties ? My first one was a 37 Plymouth.

Hi, yes it is mostly original. I did a home repair of the stone guard today, doesnt look great, but better than a rusty hunk of metal. Much to do with it! It's a Royal 2 dr sedan. I'll chat a lil later, see ya!<P>Rick

Rick: Congratulations on the delivery. Car looks nice. <P>Now on the stone guards, my Chrysler book shows almost all the 41 models with them. Interesting note: almost all models pictured for 41 have blackwall tires.

Rick: Chris has an interesting point. 1941 was the height WWII with rationing, War effort, conserving, gas rationing, height of Hitler's move, and, so on...<P>I may be totally out of line, however, my thoughts are the white walls were either a luxury to a rich person, a person with contacts, or, not original.<P>Regards, Peter J.