Yuck, Transport Blues!!!!

Rick: I can't believe the dealer would tell you that. I will tell you that since you have a bill of sale and the loan proceeds went to the seller, you are indeed obligated to pay the loan. However, you should make the lender aware of the situation since it is technically their collateral that is overdue. You should also ask the lender at what point do you consider it stolen and file the necessary reports. I must admit that I am getting more and more uncomfortable with this situation as the hours go by.

Guest John W. Harvey

Rick,<P>You have already had 8 drivers....if you get 10 more does that equal 1 round of golf?<P>All kidding aside, you've got me checking this DF several times a day! If that car makes it as far as New Stanton (Exit 8 of PA Turnpike) give me a yell. <P>John

Rick,<P>For any reason you feel you need help going over and inspecting this car out during its delivery, feel free to contact me and I'll come look it over with you. This is total nonsense as to how this has been handled for you! I'm here in Middletown, 30 minutes away and I'll be glad to come help you if you need it. I'll E-mail you my phone numbers so you can call whenever it arrives. Here's hoping everything will be fine with the car when you get it.<P>Rick

Rick, I appreciate the offer, I may take advantage of it as long as the car shows up at a normal hour. As a matter of fact, I'd like to thank everyone following along with this thread. The support you all offer is the only thing preventing my total collapse! These are the reasons I've become a member of the AACA, and I thank each of you! This car has gone off and onto a trailer 8 times, so I can assume that damage more than likely occured while loading or even while it was left at the side of a road for four days ( remember that one? ) Of course being an optimistic person in nature, I hope it is just as pretty as the pics I've seen. Thanks again for not only the offers of help, but the friendships yet to come!<P>Rick<BR>York PA

Rick,<BR> The shipping time alone is enough to qualify this car as an antique. mad.gif" border="0 I agree with one of the other DFer, you should bring this car to Hershey. All of the DFers have an interest in the car and have been sweating out the delivery.<BR>later-jac

Guest 18DodgeBrothers

Rick,<P>My brother-in-law lives in St. Louis. If your car still hasn't been loaded, make them tell you where it is (if they can) and we'll have him check it out. Otherwise we'll be sure to watch for the truck as it passes Cambridge, Ohio tomorrow. Don't we hope!!<P>This thread is getting so interesting, my wife has also started checking it several times a day. Definitely some type of article, book, etc. needs to be forthcoming after this is concluded!<P>I was one who suggested a celebration at Hershey this fall. You will be there, right?!<P>Les<p>[ 04-25-2001: Message edited by: 18DodgeBrothers ]

peterg ~ Does this qualify as the longest continuous thread on the Forum?<P>If not, what is the record. <P>It will probably qualify as a short story if not a book before Rick's car finally arrives.<P>Rick, being an optomist is a good thing in this situation.<P>Now for an impertinent question. What makes you think it really <B>WAS</B>in St. Louis at 9AM EST today? If you have caller ID, I would use it to attempt to determine where all Butch has called from.<P>Maybe it is time to start a pool on the arrival date and time. There seems to be a lot of times possible. Sorry Rick, but jest is better than tears, and if it were my car I would be a wreck by now. Ah youth.<P>hvs

Rick - your plight may be something that I believe is common with these small specialty "truckers". Looks like they're treating your car as LTL freight (less then truckload). So the original "hauler" may be a consolidater who only contracts with gypsy (not PC) truckers who take it from point to point along the way, based on their space and backhaul capabilities, dumping it off for the next pickup and movement. As with all LTL freight, eventually it gets delivered. Although in this case, I'm just guessing here, I'll bet if you offered to pay extra, you'd be amazed how fast it would get delivered. I sure hope that this all turns out OK for you. Hang in there. <BR> grin.gif" border="0

I have yet to join this discussion, but have been following every day! What are the possibilities of one of you members taking delivery of this car for Rick? Then as a club make a chain delivery with a U-haul rental trailer? Although I am not a member yet, I would be willing to pay for the trailer rental! If itis possible for you guys to do the rest. I was in the restoration and classic car sales business for a number of years, and always used either Passport or North American, guaranteed excellent service. I feel very bad for Rick as carriers like this give the good ones a bad rap and a fear of people buying a car like Rick did. Finally for all the entertainment this has provided I would like to make a suggestion, if(and I hope not)there is any damage I and I think others would be willing to help Rick out by providing parts, services or cash due to his current circumstances. If we don't help people like him, what the heck are we doing in clubs like this to promote the younger crowd to continue are love of these old cars.

Rick: The carriers response to a legal action tells me that they have done this before. <P>However, I would strongly suggest that you make a diary of dates, names of people you spoke to, time of day and results of those conversations. You will need a complete record for / if there are legal matters later on (and my suggestion below).<P>Now as to revenge later, here goes. You could legally write a synopsis of your adventure (as long as it is documented) and post it on every auto website message board being sure to list the pertinent information such as carrier name, dealer you purchased the car from who secured the services of this carrier, town and state of both, etc., and the adventure. You will be doing everything legal (as long as its documented) so no one can sue you for libel or slander. Lets see how long before they close up shop. If resources permitted, you could also take out a FULL PAGE ad in Hemmings detailing your adventure, too. IF this carrier or dealer advertises in Hemmings, you should contact them as well to detail this adventure (maybe they'll give you a break on advertising rates?). <P>Sorry if this seems extreme, but I hate to see good people taken advantage of in any situation.

All I can say is Wow! The offers of help alone are overwhelming! I am touched by the outpouring of each of you. My wife was near tears reading these past posts with offers of transport and repair help if needed, I can't say thank you enough just for thinking these things. I will not forget this.<P>To answer some questions and give a current update: <P>I do have caller ID, the number from Butch was a 417 area code. I think he was in Seymour MO. I'll find out when my phone bill comes! I've called each of the parties involved with this fiasco three to five times each day! Texas Transport uses an 800 number (800) 765-8780, feel free to call because...<P>I've tried calling Linda there at Texas Transport all day and she's been mysteriously on a conference call every time I've tried. I'll admit after this amount of time, I may have become "bothersome" to them. I have the dealership calling them to report to me, but I haven't heard back from them today either.<P>So as of now, I don't know much of anything on the whereabouts of my missing 41 chrysler. What also sucks is that I dont have 35mm pics to give to the state for my antique plate either. I needed them for insurance. I did make digital copies, but no one seems to accept them here for documentation. So when I get this car it'll be two weeks before I can legally drive it! I'll need to take pics for the notary, etc... My hope is I don't need those pics for insurance claims that may never be taken care of. I sure hope I wake up from this nitemare soon! As for the Fall Hershey show... IF ( BIG IF ) my car is here in one piece, I'll have it in the drivers class on whatever day that may be. Until next time, thanks again and as always I'll keep you posted!<P>Sincerely,<BR>Rick, York PA

I bought a Corvette from California. Shipping was paid by the seller. It was shipped by Mountainside Auto Transport,Black Canyon City AZ,602-432-9396. The car was picked up and delivered in 4 days to south Texas. They called me in route and stated delivery time and was delivered on time. Very good service. It was a husband and wife team that hauls coast to coast so no stopping in Reno. At the same time one of our club members bought a 1959 Buick convertible in Arkansas. It was picked up by another carrier. It was delivered to south Texas 28 days later with a broken windshield,passenger side window and had a large scratch on the passenger side from the door to the rear bumper. Convertible was placed on the bottom and the car above leaked oil on the white top and paint. He was not a happy camper. Insurance paid for repairs in the amount of $2200. I guess this is both sides of the story. Good luck!

Ewwwww.... Nasty story! I wonder if I can gat a PA plate that says Yo-Yo since I've been yanked around so much! I called Texas Transport this afternoon, I was told ( If I can believe anything ) that the car is being once again loaded this afternoon. I warned of the stolen car threat, but he didnt seem to care. When this is over I'll think of a good legal way to get revenge on this company! I pray the car is ok, I cant afford a big repair, and I can just imagine how wonderful the insurance this carrier has is! I'll keep ya posted!<P>Rick

Did you get the full name of the driver in Seymour? If the car is still there, we are about 10 mins. away from Seymour. Would be willing to go check it out if that's what you want or even pick it up. Picking up is probably not feasible for you because of legalities but push come to shove anything is possible. Email me if want some help. Best of luck we always pick up our own I guess were just chickens but I always like to see what I'm buying.

I forgot to mention in my previous message, if you need pictures and can find out where in Seymour your car is, we'll be glad to run over and take some pictures and overnight them to you. Our phone no. is 417-859-3421. Seymour is a small town and I know of only one place where trucks are parked for any period of time. Just give a call if you need some help.

I dont know if its loaded or not yet. Its 8:15 am in PA on Thursday. The Name of the firm is Texas Trucking. The fella living in Seymour is Butch Deal ( sp last name? ) I'm not sure where Texas Trucking is located as to St. Lois or Seymour. I do think Butch returned the load to the trucking company as of Yesterday morning, but who really knows! I havent been able to contact anyone with a brain as of yet to give me firm information. Butch told me his Father in Law was in some horrible accident and thats why he couldnt bring my car, so I'm not sure who to believe anymore. He also told me that he called a fella to do the load, and I was to wait for his call. Four hours later, unable to reach Butch, I called Texas Transports and they told me they had it and it was being loaded as of yesterday afternoon. This will be the 9th time its been loaded if I'm counting correctly. Is there a local number for this group of hooligans in your phone book? I'll be calling them again today around 9:30 ( if I can wait that long ) I'll post again with any info.<P>Thank You,<BR>Rick York PA

Guest elk93001

AS far as revenge. I would find out if and where this company is licensed to drive truck. Give the name of the principal of the company and the name of the company to the attorneys general of each state this company does business in and push the "gas pedal to the floor" on them! This might make things more difficult for them to go back into business! mad.gif" border="0

Like many others, I've been following this thread as eagerly as I used to follow the soap operas (in my lost youth). <P>If you wrote this up as fiction, no one would find it believable. Ditto for non-fiction. But truth is stranger than fiction sometimes, isn't it?<P>I hope you get the happy ending you deserve after all this grief. <P>And if you learn that your car has ended up in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area somehow (why, I don't know, but given your luck to date...), we'd be happy to check it out as well. smile.gif" border="0 <P>Jan K.<BR>Wisconsin Region

OOOOOKKKAAAAAYYYYY!!!!! I got through to Linda at Texas Transports today at 9:35 eastern time. The car was loaded yesterday afternoon. She says to keep an eye out for it, I should have it by 1 this afternoon!!! I know I shouldnt get excited, but well... I can't help it! The drivers name is Dusty, and with him he has 8 other classic or vintage cars, so if youre near york and want a free car show stop on by. She said he may take up to two or three hours loading and unloading all the vehicles here. I live at 302 Elmwood Blvd in York PA. Ofcourse, I'm supposed to be at work by 2pm, but after reporting in I'm sure I can get off, since they are as anxious as I after waiting so long. I'll keep you all posted as to any events happening here good or bad! Cross your fingers!!!!!!!<P>Still Waiting,<BR>Rick

We just checked all the area phone books for Texas Transports, none listed. We checked from Springfield up thru Rolla including Seymour. Did you happen to get Dusty's last name? We know a small trucking firm about 5 miles from Seymour. One of the drivers names is Dusty. If its them we have their telephone number and can call the owner personally and find out info on your car.

I dont know Dusty's last name, but I think he's employed by Texas Transports. It's now 12:45, and I'm quite edgy awaiting the final arrival of this car! Wow 101 posts!! Who needs to write a book, we have one right here! I'll keep you posted.<P>Rick

Like alot of DFer's, I am watching this thread closely. In between each post, I say a little prayer for you and the car. I hope that your next post is to tell us the car has arrived and all is well. Let's hope so anyway.<P>This sort reminds me of the old serials like 'Perils of Pualine' in which each episode ended with a cliff hanger. I guess I will have to stayed turn to find out what happens in the next episode.<P>Hanging on for the good news.<P>24T42

Guest John W. Harvey

6:26 EST....I'm hoping that Rick is outside admiring the car! Maybe Rick and his wife took the driver out to eat! I'm hoping for good news tonight.<P>John

Guest BruceW

heizmann<BR>Please don't even think that thought... with all he has been through, the idea might be enough to give Rick the "big one" <P>Wish Texas Transport had an email address. We could all send them a personal email telling them how much we don't appreciate the way they have treated one of our own! <P>Rick... I'm about 30 minutes southeast of you. If I see any truck carrying antique cars wandering around this area looking lost..I'll be sure to send him your way.<BR>We are rooting for you in Maryland! smile.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0

AND THE FINAL ANSWER IS.... Still no car frown.gif" border="0 Sorry to dissapoint, I've waited all day with each passing hour I felt that old familure sinking feeling. Around 7:30 pm, I finally gave in to the fact I'm not seeing this car today. Sorry it took so long to post, I had to work from 2 to 8:30. So I guess you want to hear the latest excuse???? Well, poor Dusty hasnt been home in three weeks, and gosh is he tired. He pulled over at a pilot truck stop in.... KENTUCKY!!!! I know, what the heck is he doin there???? Sorry to all you folks posted at the ends of your driveways along the PA Ohio route. Those of you in Kentucky can now be placed on the chrysler watch as well. Linda and I paged him all day but the poor lad needed his sleep! It must be tiring taking my car on a 50 state tour! Can I get a mileage award out of this? Oh, one good thing. I got my official AACA membership card in the mail today! For the record it only took two weeks! So now our hero is left with an AACA membership, good DF friends, a car payment, an insurance policy, a title, but still no car! As always, I'll keep you posted. I am expecting a call from Dusty around two am, if I get it, I come down here to post the scoop to you all!<P>Still Waiting,<BR>Rick

Bill: Thanks for checking out Texas Transport's legitimacy. "Unregistered" Kirk had me perplexed. Rick is a member of AACA, has a dilemna, and, does not need an unknown personna interjecting more confusing info. <P>Now that the transport company is a known, all that is left is getting the Chrysler delivered.<P>Regards, Peter J.

Guest John W. Harvey

Gee Dave, I hope that you have hit the jackpot! If this is the place, I can't wait to send my e-mail.<P>John

Hmmmm... It may be the place! I'll go there in a few minutes to check it out! Get those email fingers ready! Great detective work! I'll make mention of that in my article, how many pages does our bi-weekly mag allow??? As I write this we are still waiting for the call from number nine driver ( by my count ) Dusty. Linda has made me feel bad cause she's tired, working long hours, has drivers quitting, etc... She did say that she is going to try to get me a shipping refund, but we'll see that when it happens. On the next time we spoke she said it would be more like 75.00 ( oh well ). At this point I'm battle weary and really don't have much fight left in me. I just want my car. I'll keep in touch!<P>Rick

Guest 18DodgeBrothers

Just got off of that web site. Seems like too big of a company for the type of hassle that Rick is getting. They are headquartered in Orangeville, Ontario, Canada. Some info from their web site:<P>...fleet consisting of 54 transport trucks, 42 owner / operators and 12 company-owned trucks.<P>The trailer fleet has also expanded with the recent purchase of 75 trailers from Manac Inc. in Orangeville bringing the trailer total to 150 air ride vans (53 feet) and ten flatbed trailers.<P>...is a government certified Motor Vehicle Inspection Station. <P>Present on-site staff in a newly constructed facility...in Orangeville consists of 12 office personnel and three full-time mechanics.<P>...a proud supporter of the Town of Orangeville, sponsoring many local service clubs, charities and sports organizations.<P>This doesn't sound like Rick's carrier!!!<p>[ 04-26-2001: Message edited by: 18DodgeBrothers ]

As a diversion from all the tension, why not tell us a bit about the car and why you choose a '41 Chrysler. Most everyone has a story why they bought a car. Sometimes it is no more than it just tugged at your heart when you saw it. It would be great to know a little more about what has to be the most talked about car in the AACA.<P>24T42

Rick, when this DF was started we (PeterG, myself "Father Ron", and several others thought that this would be a perfect format for all of us hobbiests, especially those of us who are AACA members, to help each other. I must admit I never dreamed of anything like this story.<P>I just returned from a meeting of the North Alabama Region, AACA, and during that meeting one of the members asked about any advice we could give him on shipping a car. Sally struck me hard to keep me from rolling off my chair. My advice was to go home, call up aaca.org and check out this thread. Hopefully, Rick, your situation is unusual, but I think that something on the order of an article in Antique Automobile is warranted. As a staff member, I will talk to Bill and Jeanne and we may just be able to get something published. This is too good a story to miss. And since my first car was a 1939 Chrysler and since PeterG and long time DFer Bry both have Chryslers from that period, it would be interesting to hear the story of why you picked this car. It better be worth the pain you've gone through.<P>One idea that came out of this thread is the networking of DFers and AACA (and other clubs) along an expected shipping route to keep track of shipment. This may be worth more discussion for future Ricks. Think about it.

Rick ~ Being in Kentucky is not as outlandish as it appears on the surface. I have used that route many times going from St Louis to Baltimore.<P>I64 out of StL, thru Louisville and Lexington, KY, to Charleston, WV. Then I79 to Morgantown, WV. Then I68 to Hagerstown <BR>and you know the way home from there. <P>The route is not so heavily traveled as I70 and the PA Tpk, and there are NO tolls. A bit hilly in WV and on I68, but for a big rig pulling a light load [eight cars would weigh no more than 30,000 lb.] that probably isn't a consideration, but the free road might be.<P>SO --- A bit of encouraging news. Being in KY is a GOOD thing. It's logical smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Boy, am I glad I decided to check Hemmings before I hired P.C. Bear to haul my Packard from Texas. Like I said in a former post, I found he had 6 complaints in the year 2000 alone. If an advertiser places an ad in Hemmings it's always a good idea to call Hemmings to see if any complaints were lodged against them. Here's a case where he was suspended and advertised under a false name and state. I decided to go with Passport and they will be picking up the Packard late next week. I'm much more comfortable going with them after reading some of these posts and talking to a few car buddies. I haven't read this thread in 5 days and am amazed this is still going on! I'd love to print this out but don't think my cartridge holds that much ink! What a great club the AACA is. My best to you, Rick.

Need I say the obvious?? Its almost 9am on Friday, still no car. Not much sleep last nite, after trying to get to that web site ( never did ) and waiting for a call from Dusty, I couldn't sleep. Ofcourse, I'll be on the phone in vain again this am trying to get my car here to the safety of my garage.<P>How I got this car is a long story. I have had older cars from the 50,s thru muscle cars of the 60's until seven years ago when I met my wife. On our first date Dec. 2, 1993, I drove my 65 Barracuda. Shortly thereafter ( 4 months ) we were married, as a matter of fact, April 28th is our anniversary. When news of a young one came, I sold the car for more reliable transportation. 5 years later I talked my wife into a 67 Tempest Convertable that was a good #3 car for shows and rides. I was able to have a regular car and a toy at the time, so practicality wasnt an issue. Unfortunatley, due to a loss of job, I had to sell my convertable for the kids to have Christmas last year. It hurt to see her go, but I needed the cash and she went to a good home! Anyway, after getting a new position, and stashing away what cash I could, I started looking for another old car. I poured over Old Car Trader and Hemmings until I happened on a car that seemed affordable yet attractive. I had never owned a pre-war car, and the thought of those big fenders and fluid drive was too much to deny. I've never been a real "brand" enthusiast, I just love old cars. So I had saved enough for the down payment and March 15th, I called to place my order for the car. I can't wait to see all that chrome and stainless in the sun! Sorry about the life story length. Perhaps in the near future we can all get together and have a laugh about this.<P>Yours,<BR>Rick