Yuck, Transport Blues!!!!

Rick, with the interest and anticipation you've created with this thread, you may end up with a whole army of AACA friends in your driveway helping wax that car. Looking forward to seeing the photos.<P>Have you told the shipping company to check out this thread to see what monster they have created?

LOL, I'll get the wax, rags, and armour all. My wife will BBQ some chicken, and we'll make it an unofficial AACA event! I havent told the shipping company of anything but the increase in alka seltzer and rolaids being consumed at my home as I wait. I did mention that seeing it only took four days to get car from CA to TX, and then it had been 14 plus days in TX, that it ( texas ) must be a HUGE state! I'll start getting anxious around ten tonight, perhaps after what little sleep I get, the car will arrive in the morning. Ofcourse as this story unwinds, one can never tell of another delay or tragedy unfolding. At least I've come to expect it. The next time I buy an old car, I'll find some road buddies and make a trip of it! Hmmm, that might make a nice article! I'll keep you all posted, and hopefully by this time tommorow the car will be safe in my driveway!<P>Rick

Guest 18DodgeBrothers

We purchased our first antique car last June. Had it shipped (enclosed) by Passport Transport of St. Louis. Car was picked up in Minneapolis and arrived in SE Ohio two days later! The couple driving the van were great! They were professional, friendly, and sincerely interested in our car and that we were satisfied. Great company! The person I talked to at the company to arrange the move was also very professional. (Cost per mile worked out to right at $1.00) We'll definitely use them again.<BR>(No, I am not an employee or affiliated with Passport.)<P>Les

Guest BruceW

Rick,<P>Mr. Barnett has a point. <P>Perhaps you should tell the shipping company about this monter thread. Word of mouth is great advertising. It can be great advertising for your company..if your work is high quality... or for your competition.. if it is not.<BR>The AACA represents 63,000 potential customers for the shipping company.. or its competition. <P>The thread shows that AACA members (1) support each other (2) look out for each other and (3)have concern for each others well being.<P>They should know that.. if they do not provide good service.. they are not making a bad impression to one person.. but to potentially thousands others.

Well... The roller coaster ride continues. As I hoped against, but rather expected, there are more delays! After waiting, not using the phone and staying near the house until 12:30 today, I finally gave in and called to see where my car is. The owner told me another person quit, and a driver was delayed, yadda yadda yadda. I told her I appreciated the call I DIDNT get from her regarding these continuing issues. I also mentioned that word is getting out of her rather lousy service through this thread. She tells me car will be here late tommorow, I laughed and said I'll probably see it in June then! So as for now, I'm just steaming another day away angrily awaiting what may soon become an even older car!<P>Rick

I need to respond to an early post on this transportation issue. The post was regarding a good experience with P.C. Bear. Well, I called Hemmings about an advertiser who lists himself as Tom J. Walker regarding transport and found that the name is an alias for - you guessed it - P.C. Bear! He has been suspended for 6 complaints against him in the year 2000 alone. He won't give references unless he gets a deposit, wants 50% up front, has no contract, doesn't provide his insurance info, claims 40 years experience when he has 7 and I couldn't find an ICC record for him although he claims one. I'm amazed he does any business. Beware one and all!!

Just great! More horror stories! I seriously think when this is over I'll write a guide on long distance buying and transporting of classic cars. Any one be interested? If I sell enough at shows, I'll be able to drive or fly to a new car and bring it home myself!!! Spoke again to Linda at the transport company. She swears that I'll have my car by tommorow evening or even late afternoon. I wonder if this is what it feels like to wait for parole and then have it moved back??? I'm also thinking of buying stock in antacids! I'll keep you all posted as usual!<P>Rick mad.gif" border="0

I know how it is to wait on a car the come from the person or company. Some years ago in bought site unseen Boy was that a long wait it was a great site to see the rollback drive up at dust dark with the yellow Comet <BR>All was just as it was stated by the dealer<BR>Hope your luck is the same<BR>Buddy

This here is Slippery Sam from Slippery Sams Super Transport Service. That was my boy Slippery Junior you was jes takin to. He aint a bad kid, jes a little slo. He will be bringing the car up to you one of these days reel soon, so jus be patient, ya heah. <P>Now put in a good word for us with your buddies. We need the business<P>SS

Rick: I may be suspicious in nature. I would check the mileage from the original claim-to-mileage upon delivery.<P>Regards, Peter J.

I am a private person and not a trucking company. For years Ihave been making a trip to Okla.to the fea market in March. I have advertised and haul a auto or parts from Maine or New England And return . I give good servace and never have any problems. The message is that a hobbiest can proform as well as the large trucking company. If "you want it fast pay the cash". If you want it reasonable it takes a little longer. good luck and hang in there shocked.gif" border="0

Ok, so as you all know, the car was to be here today in the late afternoon. ( Yes they promised! ) So I call at 3pm, you know trying to see if everything is going ok. Well, some kid who has a fifth grade education and was just promoted from slinging burgers at Jack in The Box takes my call. "Ohhh Dude" he says to me. "I'm like lookin at your car now dude!" I ask him to repeat that, and he tells me the car is in his lot outside the window. When I remind him the car is due in the next hour or so, he says there were MORE delays! MONDAY????? Who knows!<P>Rick

Guest rcirilli

This whole thing is giving me an anziety attack just following it. ( Yes I know it's mis-spelled ) Good luck and hange in there. I would be ready to kill some one. The nutty thing is I've been where you are, the feeling never changes. Nothing like having the free time, trailer and towing vehicle. To bad that doesn't come with membership.

rolleyes.gif" border="0<P>In the news over the past 3+ years, has been the subject of a Nationwide shortage of over-the-road truck drivers. Most recently, a recant of the subject on Nationwide News and how it has become epidemic in proportion. The companies have hired the most derelict of people to put a body behind the wheel. <P>Your predicament, Rick, sounds relative to the problem to include the irresponsibility of the company owners. When we travel, one sort of assumes the "big rig" in the mirror has a professional behind the wheel??<P>Sorry to digress from the subject, but, here in Reading, PA, just last Sunday, we had a classic: A rig driver was doing 20 mph up a hill in a no passing zone. Witnesses say at least 8 cars were held up by the rig. One driver got impatient, passed the rig in the no passing zone. An un-marked Trooper as in the line up, put on his dashboard lights, and, went after the car. When the Trooper was along side of the rig, he was forced off the road. It took him 3 tries to get aroung the rig before he could pull the truck over.<P>Needless to say, he is in all sorts of trouble. A passenger in the rig retorted that his friend was so irate about the first car passing, that he was going to run the next one off the road...a Trooper.<P>Sorry about the length, but, again, look who is driving some of these rigs.<P>Regards, Peter J.

Pete,<P>You hit that nail right on the head. I just found out that my (hopefully soon-to-be ex)son-in-law is back on the road. He is one of the "professional" drivers that brags about his accidents. He had his Pa. CDL suspended so he just got one from another state.From what I understand, he can drive in any state except Pa. So, I guess we are safe for a while, but look out everywhere else!<BR>I thought this whole new CDL procedure was supposed to eliminate this and clean up the trucking ranks. Looks like another government program that is full of loop holes and other things. mad.gif" border="0<p>[ 04-21-2001: Message edited by: randjflo60 ]

The trouble with SOME truckers is that they have been listening to too many trucker songs and view themselves as the next great American folk hero as told to them by C.W. McCall rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>Do you know why cowboys wear tennis shoes?<BR>So folks can tell them from truckers.<P>Of course that is just my opinion. And remember I said SOME truckers. But if the boot fits, wear it.<P>Turns out that this was post #666. I guess that means the devil made me do it. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>hvs<p>[ 04-22-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

res1967, I know what you are going through. I have moved a number of antique cars and it has been my experience that it take at least two weeks longer than the quoted time. Yes, I have contracted every mover that advertises in Hemmings. All with the same results except one , Intercity who picked the car up and delivered it on the stated day. One of the moving companies is headquartered within twenty miles of the delivery point--how can I go wrong I ask? Well, after listening to every excuse under the sun I cancelled the pickup. You have to give them credit , they are creative in producing excuses. rolleyes.gif" border="0<BR>Keep us posted and take a few more tums and aspirin!

Hello everyone. Its Sunday, still no car. I tried calling the kid from Jack in the Box high at the trucking company, ofcourse no one was there on the weekend. Heaven forbid My car keeps a trucker from his Old Mil and the Sunday race as he reclines on the sofa placed neatly on the porch of his single wide trailer. If it wasnt loaded on Friday, I'll probably not see the car till wednesday ( again ). I can almost swear that Id be right in assuming it hasnt been loaded. Oh, I almost forgot.... The companies name is TEXAS TRANSPORTS. I think they use the transport word figuratively and prefer just to hang out in Texas. As always I'll keep you posted. Honestly getting really tired of this!!!!<P>Rick mad.gif" border="0

In todays episode, we find our hero calling the trucking company once again in a never ending quest to find his car. After several attempts, the fine folks at Texas Transports are located. I am then told the car was loaded in St Lois on Saturday evening. The driver, who's name is Butch ( yes Butch ) is currently in Indiana and heading towards my home. ( I really have my doubts. ) So, I am now told tommorow ( Tues.) we will have to wait and see...<P>Rick shocked.gif" border="0

Guest John W. Harvey

Rick,<P>I usually check the DF on a regular basis. I have been following your transport (or lack of) from the beginning. You got me checking more than twice a day now....can't wait to hear the good news! Until then, I feel your pain.<P>John

Now it gets interesting!!! I can't fathom any more twists to this story, but yet every day I discover new suprises! Butch Deal Calls my home tonight ( monday ) He says he has the car and he can be here by thursday. I complain of additional delays, so he says maybe wednesday. Then, get this, he tells me Texas Transport hired him as a sub contracted hauler. He doesnt really work for them. He says they got too busy for my car and three others, and called him for help. He then says " Oh you know this is a COD delivery?" HUH?????? I say it isnt and that the dealer paid for the shipping already, besides that, I have the contract stating this fact. He tells me Texas Transport told him to collect from me!!! I think Not!! I informed him that Brockers ( the dealer ) will be called in the morning and I'll have it all fixed. I wonder if the dealer knows Texas Transport is trying to double dip? I also found out they owe this Butch fella 2500 bucks for other trips he's made for them! As always, I'll keep you posted!<P>Rick

Guest 18DodgeBrothers

Rick,<P>Based on his being in Indiana at 10:31, he could be spending the night close to here in Cambridge. I feel like I should go check the motel parking lots and other large lots close to I-70 (or along the side of the interstate). Then again, at the current rate he wouldn't be to eastern Ohio yet anyway.<P>We sympathize with you and are pulling for you to get your car (in the same condition as when it left)!<P>Maybe there can be a Rick-gets-his-car special celebration at Hershey this fall?<P>Les

Rick,<P>I do hope you volunteer to be a reference for this company. That way you can tell everyone about the fine service you have received from them.<P>Bill

Guest elk93001

I would try to get in contact with the trucking company to clarify things. Maybe Butch is trying to double dip! who knows.<BR>I'm not sympathizing with the company either.<BR>Just remember whenever you contact these folks, document it! In fact, if they tell you that you should pay more, tell them they should be paying you for the delay, which is inexcusable, and look over that contract (especially the fine print). If there is no reason you should pay more, a contract is a contract.<P> In the meantime get on the horn with the attorney general of the state in which they do business (TX?). You might be able to get some recourse there. This place sounds like an unprofessional Mickey Mouse operation, uncalled for on their part and sound like they don't know their heads from their butts! Sorry for the rant!

Rick - this oddysey is now on a slippery slope. Sounds like Butch picked up a load with multiple deliveries specifying COD B/Ls and freight charge invoices. His contract is with the Texas outfit and it sounds like he dosen't get paid unless he collects. Now do you think he is going to release the car to you without getting paid? Not! You need to get hold of the original selling dealer pronto. I would think the shipper of record on the original B/L is the dealer. Try to find out what the original shipping terms were, i.e. FOB point, freight payment, insurance (I remember that you said the car is insured during shipment, but who is the beneficiary?). I believe this is true - the Texas trucking outfit cannot legally transfer an item with a B/L to another transport agency under different terms than the original B/L. An important point here is the FOB point. If it's at the dealer's place of business, the whole shipping problem is yours, even though the dealer may have paid the freight (remember it's in the sales contract as part of your monthly payments).<BR>I think you need to get some good commerical legal advice if this goes on too much longer.<BR>Remember the old saying, possession is 9/10 of the law. shocked.gif" border="0

Rick ~ Ted is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. The key is the FOB point. Is is FOB York? In that case it is the shippers responsibility up to the point of delivery and he pays the freight and is responsible for the vehicle.<P>If it is FOB shipping point, freight allowed to destination, all responsibility is yours after it leaves the shipper even though the shipper pays the freight. It's your baby.<P>Look carefully at your contract. Is there one price listed for car and freight and another lower one for the car. That would indicate a "freight allowed scenario." I seem to recall a $6000 number somewhere. Could the car have been more and discounted to $6000 to cover freight [the freight allowance thing]. If that is the case, the freight charges will be yours to pay.<BR> <BR>You need an attorney, NOW!!! BEFORE BUTCH SHOWS UP WITH THE CAR AND A BILL. <P>If you don't pay and take the car, storage charges will begin and you would no doubt end up stuck for those, and they can be whatever the carrier wants to charge.<P>Just my opinion, but I don't think I am wrong. I was in a business for 32 years that received all kinds of over the road shipments at least 3 times a week, and I saw it all.<P>Sorry to be so pessamistic. frown.gif" border="0 <P>Howard

Rick: A couple of things I want to note for your own protection. <BR>1. You had stated you had to buy a 30 day insurance policy. When does it expire? Don't get caught without insurance and the car not in your possession.<BR>2. Considering the car was supposed to arrive on the 4th of April? and here it is the 24th suggests something extremely wrong. My suggestion is to contact the carrier (not Butch) and tell them they have 24 (or 48) hours to deliver the car or it will be reported stolen to California (site of sale), Texas (base of transporter), and Pennsylvania (site of purchaser) along with the FBI (interstate crime) naming the transporter as the perpetrator of the crime (they signed for it in CA, didn't they?) and if they cannot deliver on time you can only surmise the transporter has indeed stolen your property and commited an interstate criminal act. <P>You might also want to inform your finance company and the seller of your intentions to report a crime before you actually report it. You might find help in the areas least expected.<p>[ 04-24-2001: Message edited by: Chris NJ ]

This delivery is sounding more and more like my Willys Truck delivery, (see back a few weeks in this thread). I wonder if World Wide moved from NY to TX.<P>Anyway I believe you fell into the same con as I did. I would bet that Texas Trucking does not own a single truck and subs all their hauling to the wildcat driver with the lowest bid.<P>Never hire a trucking company that doesn't own a truck.<P>Jim...

I spoke with dealer and Butch today regarding this god forsaken shipment. The dealership has informed me they have fully paid Texas Transports for the delivery to my door from thiers. Butch ( In an intirely different unbelievable story ) said his Father-in-law was in a horrible accident early this morning and it sounds like he wont make it. He told me that he has three cars on his load. Mine, a car going to NJ, and one for VA. I told him I spoke to the dealer who told me shipping was paid for as per my contract ( price of car includes shipping ) He says at this point he is glad I'm trying to sort this out for him. He also said he is going to run straight through to my door as of tonite, drop my car, and take the rest of the load back with him in order to see his dying relative. The dealer assures me that I am not responsible for any shipping costs at least directly. I have also called the finance company to tell them I've yet to get the car at my door. They were a little upset as well. I am the loss payee along with specialty car finance. I agreed to a value of what I paid for the car plus 2 thousand ( 8k total ). What a mess!!!! My thinking is that Butch and the A--H--- texas transport company can work out payment amongst themselves as long as I have full documentation that states I'm not responsible for any of these costs. From what Butch has told me, seems like a nice enough fella, Texas Transports has filed bankruptcy several times and then kept changing the company name to stay in business. They are headquartered in Austin TX, and have a smaller depot in Springfield MO. Geez folks... Whatever you do, if you know a person getting ready to ship tell them of this!!!! I don't want another person to go through this. I'll keep you posted!<P>Rick confused.gif" border="0

I'm sitting here wondering if this car will ever get here in one piece! My insurance waiver needs to be updated to a full policy as of the 28th of April, so I'm still ok on that one. My payment has to be made today by fed ex, or my credit will be hurt ( can't have that!) The current driver said he'd try to go at this in one shot, so I'd expect if it takes me 15 hours to get to St. Lois, I should give him 18 or so. Either way I would think today is the day. From what I understand, the trucking company isnt legaly allowed to transfer cargo after signing for it, is that correct? Anyway, I'm here and waiting.<P>A Very Tired,<BR>Rick

Whew, posts coming faster by the hour. As I thought... Butch called me this morning still in St. Lois ( some all night ride ) his father in law passed away, and yet another driver is taking over! This fella is supposed to call me this morning. I told Butch that I suppose today is out of the question, but he says it can make it by late tonight or early tommorow morning. Lets see, thats one driver from CA to TX, one from TX that quit, one that found car and brought back to TX, one that took car from TX to MO, one that mistakenly took car back to TX from MO then back, one that broke an axle in MO, one that made it from seymour MO to St Lois, and one we currently have. Hmmmm thats 8 drivers!!!!! geez! By the time I see this car, it'll probably arrive by horse and carriage near December!<P>Rick

Hey Rick, you're still on the slippery slope in this oddysey. You never did let us know what the FOB point was for the shipment. From what I gather from your posts, it probably is FOB the dealer's west coast location. That means ownership transferred to you legally. You better make sure that the insurance policy is renewed without fail. Also if you have a car payment due, I would recommend that you make it. Not actually having the car delivered is not a defense. Sounds to me like the transport guys are jerking you around BIG TIME! Still recommend that you get a good commercial lawyer to give you advice on your situation.

Ok, lets see... I checked paperwork and also had lawyer look it over. The car is the shippers ( sellers ) responsibility until it arrives at my address and is unloaded there. Shipping was paid for ( dealer has cancelled check already) I called dealership twice today, I told them if I dont have the car by tommorow at 6pm, I'll report it stolen in four states. He said to try whatever works and that he will call the original shipping company for the umpteenth time to try to expedite this mess. I await his return call as we speak. Currently, I have no idea who is in control of my car or even if its on its way here! I do know that its in St Lois as of 9 am eastern time today. Thats 15 hours from my home. Damn this is ugly.<P>Thanks for the support!<BR>Rick