Zerk vs. Alemite Fittings

jrbartlett

Guest BruceW

From what I understand, Alemite bought the Allyn-Zerk Company in 1924 and the newer style "Zerk" fitting was introduced in the early 1930s. I have also read one source that said it was as early as 1925. It appears that most auto manufacturers converted to the Zerk style by the mid 30s.

Our 1931 Ford still has some of the original Alemite style fittings but a number them have been changed over the years to the modern Zerk style fittings. I need to change them all over to the same style to make lubricating the chassis easier. The Zerk fittings come in 1/4 and 1/8 inch thread so you need to know which one will fit your application.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Guest Snopack

The ball end grease fitting which most people mistakenly call a Zerk fitting is actually an Alemite Hydraulic fitting. It was developed by Alemite enginners in 1932-33 and was common on most American cars by 1934. Vol.1 #3 Skinned Knuckles, "Everything you always wanted to know about Pressure Lube Systems."

John

post-30763-143137894038_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have Alemite pin type grease fittings on my 24 Buick. I also have the correct gun, but when I try to screw grease into the fittings it just comes out the sides of the gun connector.

The fittings may be plugged, but I wouldn't think all of them would be this way. I am ready to swap all of them to modern fittings, but first I want to know if anybody has another solution.

Thanks,

Mark,

Could it just be that the end of your grease gun fitting is worn and it's not locking on tight to the Alemite pins? I use a Alemite adapter on a regular hand pump gun when I lube my '24 and you really need to twist it to lock on. Otherwise, it will do the same as you are saying.

Rick,

I have been using a standard "Alemite Hydraulic" end on my grease gun to service the Zerk (pre-1934) fittings on my car. Unfortunately it does not always make a good fit/seal and because of that there are a number of fittings I have replaced with newer fitting.

Do you know where I could find an adaptor for the old Zerk fitting?

Thanks!

Guest martylum

If you wish to keep the original "look" of period fittings, consider removing the original sittings and screwing a modern ball type fitting in just for your annual lubrication.

I've not found the zerk fittings on my 30 Desoto lube without a lot of leakage using a zerk grease gun adapter.

Martin Lum

So I see Mark. Humm? They sure went up in price since I bought my last one. I just looked at the price with MSC and they are now all but $32.00 also. Sorry about that!

Marty, I have 3 of the early zerk type guns. Two leak out something terrible and 1 works just fine.