Model A Engine Block

NHcarnut

This Engine Block has been sitting since it was removed, I was told due to a "knocking bearing", that "was solid lead, and had to be poured to be replaced". It is very rusty, but my dad spent some time loosening fasteners with penetrating oil. Does it have any value? It is located in Upstate NY.

post-45777-143137893205_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

yard "art" would be a choice for me, maybe a nice rock garden sitting beside some cactus? You could even add a rotted wooden or bent wire wheel to add to the effect! I saw a mailbox stand made of an old crankshaft and Ford T engine. somebody can find a use for anything.

• 1 month later...

I have attempted to remove the crank, thinking that the crank and maybe rods and pistons are salvagable. Half of the mains bolts came out (3), and on the other 3 the nut turns, and is hard to grip. So it may have to be a complete garden sculpture. I'll perhaps give it one more try the next time I visit the farm, maybe try some heat after the penetrating oil soaks. Likely the cactus won't grow well here in NH, particularly in the -30F winters... ;-)

• 2 months later...

Shame you're not here in good old York of Pa. There's a foundry in Wrightsville that melts them down and turns them into a product know as Wilton Armetel (spelling?). I was amazed all the different places I've gone stateside that uses their product. The pitchers work great to keep cold drinks (of your choice) in once they've set in the frig for a half hour or so. Just don't get your tongue or lips stuck on the pitcher like the kids used to do on the playground.