Won't Start /How to Remove Ignition Switch 56 Buick Century

Guest drdbinfl

Guest drdbinfl

HI Guys,

I finally recived my 56 Century 2 weeks ago and I think my ignition switch is is bad. Previously, the car will not crank unless I play with the switch (move it abit). Now it will just "click" once and I am thinking it may be the battery but it would not even jump start so I am miffed.

Assuming it is the switch, is there a "trick" to removing it .. I rember eons ago (before I tuned fat and bald) replacing a similar part on my $75 65 Impala Convertible using a paper clip but I cant seem to get this part out of the Buick. Any insight appreciated.

Also, if you know of a way to bypass the switch perhaps I can trouble shoot?

darrell

post-38757-143137892098_thumb.jpg

Great reply! And that is a beautiful car! Congratulations!!! I love the yellow and black combination. I remember my Grandmother had a 1956 Chevrolet BelAir sedan in those colors and it looked great. It was a wonderful car. Surprisingly I remember most of the big Chevys she had (all Impalas after the BelAir) were well built, comfortable and POWERFUL cars. You have a real beauty there.

Guest drdbinfl

Thanks for the compliment. I too have been a fan of the "bubble bee" combo. I think a saw a 56 Buick up close for the first time about 5-7 years ago when I stumbled onto the Annual Buick Meet in Richmond, VA .. Thus I was hooked on the 56. The color combo said "buy me!

thanks again for your note!

darrell

• 3 weeks later...

The ignition switch is so simple on these cars with the gas pedal starter switch, I tend to doubt that is your problem. Is your amp guage moving at all when you switch to on? If so I think you need to look elsewhere. Maybe dirty terminals on the starter itself?

JD