Just Bought a NICE restorable 28 Commander

Guest 28_Stude_Rick

Guest Rick_28_Stude

I do need some help from the board members. One, I need help with some of the numbers I have found.

Number on the firewall - EW-W 22958

S/N on Frame - 4081414

Engine block on the bottom right side - G617

Engine Code behing the generator - EW30118

The Head - G622 112588-2

I really would like to know more about what I have bought.

I'm sure it is a 28 Commander with the Big 6 but that is about it. Any idea of the horsepower rating? What kind of cruise speed should I expect?

This car has been in inside storage for the last 30 years! It was stripped and had been primered. The car is VERY complete, even the interior is still nice but I will still redo it. I got the engine running too!

I do need a few parts and sources for parts. The following is the list:

1 - Tilt Ray headlight lense 9 1/4 to 9 3/8 inch I think

Radiator cap - I need this bad!

1 - Hood latch 4" tall

Windshield wiper blade

Most all rubber seals and window seals, etc.

1 - lower door hinge frot the rear door

2 - rear window crank handles

"cold" & "Adv" control levers in the dash

Interior trim ring for the door handle

Windsheild crank assy. The whole works

I may need a radiator shell if mine won't polish up good enough to chrome plate.

I have created a web page with a number of pictures if you are interested.

My web page with pictures of the car.

Any help or advise on restoring this great car would be greatly appreciated. Up to now the oldest car in the stable is a 1955 Pontiac Cheiftain so this is a bit of a departure.

I have a had a bit of a problem logging on this site due to Microsofts anti spyware software so I am including my email address. checkingtime@sbcglobal.net

Rick

Guest Rick_28_Stude

Thanks for the advise. I'll be joining a club soon. I found another Studebaker site but they only deal with POST WAR Studebakers. I have already gotten a couple emails that have been very helpful.

I have only had this car for a couple months so I have a long way to go. I still need help in identifing my car.

Strange,

The body tag seems to indicate a 1927 EW 4 door sedan. The engine also seems to be a 1927 EW built in June of 1927. However the frame tag seems to be from a 1929 GJ Commander. Perhaps the frame tag was changed at some point in time?

Joel

Guest Rick_28_Stude

Richard Quinn just emailed me and told me where to find the number on the engine. That number is - EW30118

I just got off the phone with the people I bought the car from and asked if it had been rebodied or anything. They tell me that I bought it JUST LIKE they got it, 25 years agos. The dad never did get a chance to start on it before he died. So I can't get any more info that I have at least on its history.

• 1 month later...

I'm no expert... but the pictures look a lot like my EW 1927 Commander. The rear bumper and tire carrier are the same as mine. The front bumper is slightly different. Engine pics seem the same as mine. For what it's worth.

Nice piece to go to work on..... enjoy.

• 1 month later...
Guest Stephen_W_Davis

Lucky devil you are! You have a bronze carb. My 27 Commander is sitting without a carb, since the pot metal Ball carb has disintegrated.... phew..... and up to now nobody can tell me they have a correct original for sale..... Anyway, Congratulations, and join the Antique Stude club. It's really excellent. Steve