Hydramatic, downshift when full throttle?

DSMtuned

Hello,

Sorry for the new guy question here. I'm new to pre-70s cars and am not sure how things from the 50s <should> operate.

I have a Hydramatic tranny in a 1955 Olds Starfire 98. When the gas pedal is slammed to the floor the tranny does not shift to the next lowest gear. Should it downshift?

Also, it shifts up to fourth very quickly, by maybe 25mph with little throttle input. With the pedal to the floor the shifts are further apart, but it still seems like they could be drawn out a bit more for maximum power.

Should a '55 Hydramatic drive similar to a more modern tranny?

Thank you, Craig

I have the hydro is my '58 cadillac, and it's in 3rd gear at 24 mph. These engines had a lot of torch.

So, if you read the owners manual for your car you will see something about holding the car in 2nd for city driving.

That's why you have that long hotdog on the gear indictor, for drive.

Fourth gear slips in, and you don't feel it at all at higher speeds.

if the linkage is adjusted correctly, the passing gear will drop down and the engine will start screaming, but not if your moving faster then 45mph. there is a direct rod from your gas pedal to the tranny that kicks the tranny back down to third. this rod is also attached to the linkage that tells the amount the carb is open.

who are you racing?

The trans in your 55 has a linkage that runs from the carb to the trans. It should be adjusted so when the throttle is wide open, the linkage rod is pulled all the way forward. they changed the hydramatic in 56 and the shift from 3rd to 4th was made much smoother by using a different set up for shifting. The 55 had a direct lock up and the later trans had a fluid coupling.

All the Hydramamtics were actually 4 speed trannies, bu the 1st gear was only good for about 5-10 MPH

Buy a transmission manual for you Olds and it will help you a lot when diagnosing these issues. More then likely it is the linkage. I had problems with my 55?s shifting at the correct speed for years until I fooled around with the linkage just by reading the manual in the trouble shooting section. It now shifts perfect.

Learn Slim Jims while you're at it. There's a whole market out there waiting to be tapped as we Olds guys do not have the advantage of an engine block you can bolt a TurboHydraMatic to...

I'm not sure if a Super HydraMatic will clear Olds floor pans, otherwise that would be an improvement, 'scuse, option.