1991 Conv.-How much to pay?

Guest wally888

Guest wally888

I am considering buying one of the below cars.

http://www.autotrader.com VIN 1G4EC33L8MB900509

1G4EC33L2MB900554 at carsdirect.com

Comments? Price-one is an export to Canada, returned to states..

I plan to drive it but probably only a few thousand miles a year. Will it always be worth as much as I pay for it or maybe until a certain mileage?

I think they are both high. Depending on equipment (16Way and CD) they should be closer to $18,000 maybe less.

You should call about the one in TX. No price or mileage is listed but that car has less than 200 miles....I suspect the asking price is about $35,000. I had no idea it was for sale....maybe one of the lowest mileage Reattas around.

Tell Milton or Jon I sent you.....it won't help the price

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think they are both high. Depending on equipment (16Way and CD) they should be closer to $18,000 maybe less.</div></div>

In a perfect world, maybe! Everyone wants the best deal, or low price.

I paid more than that last spring, before drop-top CPI values went up 8% last quarter.

Remember, we're talking about '91 convertibles, only 153 cars! One can't use the same guidelines as an average car when deciding how much to pay. Yes, the market is highly limited, but the interested buyers are that much more motivated to own one of the VERY FEW remaining cars, not to mention one with under 50K miles. From what I've seen, less than 5 cars are even available, with 5 parties interested in each one. Only the one who shows up with the right amount of cash will get one. These sellers are'nt gonna drop their price by $6k just to get rid of the car. Especially with the values rising 4% in each of the last 2-month periods.

If Reattadudes sold a Reatta for $67k, why then would $18k be too much for one?

I know, it's not a Hemi 'Cuda, but it's not going for 6 figures, either!

Would an individual interested in a '91 Reatta drop-top settle for a Solstice or Sky? Pricing is nearly identical for a <30k mile convertible Reatta. Which will hold that value for, say 2 months? The Solstice or Sky will depreciate immediately, the Reatta will rise further, as seen by recent figures. I was offered a Solstice for my drop-top last fall, turned it down. Glad I did! The Solstice would have lost value, while my Reatta rose 8%.

If you owned a '91 Reatta convertible w/under 50k, would you sell it for $18K??

What if it was a rare color combo, like my Black/flame, with only 2 on the road?

I would'nt make a "blanket" statement on value of these cars, but a general one, stating how much I, or anyone, would like to pay.

Mine cost over $20k, and I don't miss a dime of it! But would sell it in a heartbeat, if I could get one with <10k miles, or an untitled one with no miles.

The dealer in MI, with #509, has his car priced "within range" for it's true collector car value. Not a steal, but not highway robbery, either IMHO. Take him a trade-in car you don't have much into, and realize your discount that way. He'll make money on it, that you did'nt have to spend. Dealers love trade-ins.

Our '91 is still available, target price in the range of the MI car, fewer miles, BCA Midwest regional Gold award winner. Photo attached.

post-38921-143137886396_thumb.jpg

Guest inthespot

My thoughts ( even though they are not worth much ) If there were only 10 widgets and 10 people own them and they each wanted $5.00 for them then the value is set at $5.00. But when one or two sell there widgets for $4.00 that could change the mix. But now if the 8 original owners want $5.00 and the two new owners want $5.00 also, then the price remains the same. It goes back to what a seller will take and a buyer will pay. And as Randy says, when you get down to only a very few then the few owners can set the price and just wait. What ever the price, it will eventually be met (within reason)

Precisely, Mike!

I'm not saying Barney is wrong, just that the price he's suggesting would be the preferred price for a buyer. Of course, we'd all love to find one for $800, but that's the average price of what many of us would classify as a parts car.

The target price of $18k is a good place to start, but few, if any, '91 drop-top owners would sell at that price, from what we've seen advertised-or not.

Especially when the CPI value has surpassed $20k, (and is still rising), UP 8% last quarter.

Of the 5 total Black/Flame '91 drop-tops, only 1 is available for sale, GM and a dealer/collector own 3-unavailable, and the other one's location is not clear.

How does one set a price for the lowest mile one on the road, with only 1 other to compare to?

Especially when the other ONE is not for sale, nor is it a BCA Gold Award winner.

post-38921-14313788641_thumb.jpg

Guest wally888

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WALLY888, DID YOU EVER BUY EITHER CAR?? JUST CURIOUS ?? </div></div>

No!

The Canadian car seemed to be a little unknown and the other offered deal was iffy. Both probably overpriced.

One dealer said they were selling for a private owner but would pay the sales tax..................

The allure of low mileage is not what I'm looking for, maybe 60-100,000 miles. I just want to drive it and sell my 90.

Thanks for the quick response, I sold my 90 Red conv.( 64,000 miles )last fall, so I'm kind of looking for a 91 nice conv., to move up so to speak. I may check out the michigan one this week, see what I can do . I'm about 70 miles away. I will let you know when I come back, best to just go see the car.thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I may check out the michigan one this week </div></div>

While you're out, drive around, (or ferry across) Lake Michigan to see another '91 drop-top.

I'm only an hour, or so, north of Chicago, 20 miles west of the lake.

Here's a teaser photo to get your blood pressure up.

1991 Black/flame convertible, 1 of 5 existing, only one other on the road!

If you're looking for a '91, then you gotta see this one!

Lower miles than the MI silver car, BCA Midwest regional 2005 show Gold award winner.

post-38921-143137886667_thumb.jpg

Call me !!!!!!517-655-2421,my office , could be busy.keep trying. I was just about to get in car and blow off day to see the silver one. I hate mondays for working , my job.!!!!!thought this black one was Barneys???????? My mistake, you are alot closer, I was just in chicago to look at a 442.thanks,