Where are the '62 to '64 Wildcat guys?

Oldsfan

I have a '62 Olds Starfire. About mid-year they came out with an option called the "Vinyl Sport-top" for Starfire and 88 coupes. Sounds like it was basically a pin-point convertible top glued to the roof. Available in white or black. Due to the late availability, not many came through with them. Looks like they were initially offered for '63 88 coupes, but then cancelled. This top had a special rain gutter retainer (Olds part #4878531). I spotted a '63 Wildcat at a transmission shop today, with a vinyl top, and it has these same retainers.

My Starfire is loaded. Right now I am adding power vent windows, and when that's done I would like to get started on adding a white Sport-Top. I would like to use the proper retainers with the installation. I believe most, if not all, Wildcat coupes of this vintage came through with vinyl tops, so I figured you guys would be a good source for the retainers and advice.

What success have you guys had with removing and re-installing the retainers when having the top replaced. I'm sure someone's been through this. I guess what I'm asking is - are they re-usable? Or is there an acceptable replacement? Any tips for removal or re-installation?

Any of you guys have a set of retainers for sale? Have a parts car you'd be interested in trying to remove them from? Know of a car in a salvage yard that might have a set?

I found a Starfire in a yard here in PA that I thought was an original Sport-Top car. It has two thin metal strips running from the windshield to the rear window, in the same location as the seams on a convertible. Top material is long gone. No retainers in the rain gutters. Fisher data plate doesn't reveal a Sport-Top, so someone must have added one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

The 62 Wildcat vinyl tops were not pinpoint convertible top grain. It was an unusual grain. No idea where, if at all, the original style material is available. There is a gentleman in CA that knows a great deal about 62 Wildcats and would be aware of whether the material is available and whether the parts interchange.

PM me through this system. If you're a BCA or AACA member, it's easy to put you in touch with him if you have a roster for either club.

Paul,

65 Rivieras were available midyear with vinyl roof and also had the thin strip which "snapped" into place holding the ends of the vinyl material tightly into the lip of the rain gutter. I have never seen one and have been told by Riviera Club leaders they could not be saved when removed. All vinyl tops I have seen have been the replacements and glued into the gutter with only stainless roofrail trim covering the edges. From your description it sounds like you are describing four pieces of trim on the Starfire..2 functional and 2 appeerarance??Wish I could see the original car you saw and the way it was finished. Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish I could see the original car you saw and the way it was finished.</div></div>

Funny you should mention that. I am planning to go shoot some pics for the benefit of the upholstery shop. We just got a bunch of snow here last night, so it's not going to be today. Maybe next weekend. In the meantime, I have this that came from the August issue of the Oldsmobile Service Guild training manual:

vt.jpg

The part I am concerned with right now is called the flexible retainer in the pic. In the text, it says:

"NOTE: If retainers are damaged during removal procedure, retainers should be replaced with new parts".

This leave me to believe that if you don't flat rate the job, they could be removed and reinstalled.

Sounds like the '65 Riviera retainers may be like the ones I had on my '67 98. They were clear plastic with a chrome strip molded inside of them. Very brittle. Mine were loose in spots and needed replacing. I never did find a good replacement set.

Paul