Colorado insurance appraisal

DSMtuned

or J.C. Taylor. Regular insurance companies are going to charge you an arm and a leg and then fight with you if you make a claim. At least if you fight with the antique insurance guys you have not paid a lot of money for the coverage.

All good suggestions. Thanks guys. I'll try the guy in the Springs and also consider Antique insurances.

I have American Family Insurance now and they have been very good to me with claims on other cars. It's actually only $280 per year with a $250 deductible. This is considering less than 1500 miles per year, which is the plan.

I bought the car for $10,000, but their book will only insure it for $6,500 without an appraisal.

Thanks for the advice.

-Craig

Guest Randy Berger

I pay less than $200.00 a year for a car worth double the $10,000.00.

It allows me up to 5,000 miles per year.

It also has "agreed upon value" written into the policy. That means

the insurance company and I agree what the value is. Make sure any policy

you buy has that wording. I'm sure Hagerty does and most other antique insurers, also.

Hagerty charges me $80 per annum for $500,000 of liability and $3 per $1000 for collision/comprehensive. Coverage is for agreed value, no deductable, no milage limit. So if your rate is the same it would cost you $110 per annum to insure for $10,000 full coverage. BTW, liability is charged just once per policy not per car. I have 5 vehicles insured with them and my liability cost is $80 per annum, total. A regular insurance company will never be competitive with a specialty insurer either in cost or coverage for the simple reason they don't understand or really want the business......Bob.

The Auto Appraisal Group has an excellent reputation though they cost a little more then most. They will also update your appraisal for 3 years at no charge. Depending on what you own this can come in handy.

I need to get two cars appraised as Hagerty and most of the antique auto insurers will only cover up too 25K max of agreed upon value. After that you need a appraisal.

Guest AntarcticDave

I have my 47 Cadillac with Grundy, and have been happy with them. I had it with American Family before that. They charged over twice the cost, and when a woman ran a stop sign and hit my rear fender, I had a horrible time getting the claim settled. The adjuster insisted the fender be repaired, not replaced, and estimated the whole repair at $1,800. Because of this low-ball estimate, no classic shop would deal with the repair. Finally I told them they better find a shop that would. The chrome strip alone ran $1,600, and 45 hours labor on the fender. The repair total was $5,800. If they'd been reasonable to begin with, I could have used a classic shop, and they could have saved $1,000. That was what convinced me to switch, and my agent at American Family said he didn't blame me a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have my 47 Cadillac with Grundy, and have been happy with them. I had it with American Family before that. They charged over twice the cost, and when a woman ran a stop sign and hit my rear fender, I had a horrible time getting the claim settled. The adjuster insisted the fender be repaired, not replaced, and estimated the whole repair at $1,800. Because of this low-ball estimate, no classic shop would deal with the repair. Finally I told them they better find a shop that would. The chrome strip alone ran $1,600, and 45 hours labor on the fender. The repair total was $5,800. If they'd been reasonable to begin with, I could have used a classic shop, and they could have saved $1,000. That was what convinced me to switch, and my agent at American Family said he didn't blame me a bit. </div></div>

WOW this is enough for me to switch to an antique insurer!!

There is no way at this time that the car will be valued for more than $25,000, so Hagerty with no appraisal will work great. I'm going to call them up today.

Thanks for all of the input!

-Craig

Guest AntarcticDave

Hi Ted,

We were still a no-fault state then, and it was simpler to go through my insurance, and then they went back after hers (which did agree it was her fault). I had, when I got really frustrated, thought of just going with hers directly, to see if they behaved better. They said their repair estimate was even lower, $1600. Everyone I talk to in the local clubs who use a regular classic insurer have had much better experiences.

Dave