Factory supercharged Reatta

Barney Eaton

I get lots of emails and phone calls about Reattas.......this one came yesterday saying a dealer (don't know where) has a factory supercharged 1989 Reatta. Today he sent me pictures and it looks pretty good but I think you will all agree, it was not factory done.

Why........the picture shows a late production 3800 supercharge engine. The first versions of this engine were used in the 1992 Park Avenue Ultra. This would be 4 years after the 1989 Reatta was built. But the dealer advertised and told him it was a limited production factory job.

We will see how this story ends.......... Picture attached

How about your comments.

post-30596-143137885308_thumb.jpg

Guest inthespot

Just for my own info, how much more hp and speed would you get if you did have a supercharged 3800 in a Reatta. Would the speed be worth the cost and trouble it would take to ensure that everything worked the way it did originally. Just from reading the postings, it seams that there would be several changes to be made and a lot of problems with the computers associated with a Reatta.

I agree, All possible information should be gotten on this car. If some one installed this engine and got everthing to work it could become a pattern for anyone else who would be interested. We would need to know if all gauges and instrumation works as original. And most of all we would need to know about every piece that was changed or modified to make it work.

From the picture it looks very neatly done. I hope we can gather enought information to attempt another one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for my own info, how much more hp and speed would you get if you did have a supercharged 3800 in a Reatta. </div></div>

Stock my Riv with the same engine had 240 HP.

I also has a smaller pulley, CAI intake, and free flow exhaust, I would expect 290 to 300HP for more an intercooler is required.

I disagree at least from a computer standpoint, effort is about the same as you have to match the ECM/PCM data stream to the Reatta though since the 91 has an "E" trans and integrated ABS, the wiring might be a little easier.

Guest F14CRAZY

And back to the airflow problem that Ryan talked of. The older ECM can't register enough airflow, but the '91 ECM would (for the TPI motor)

Guest maybe2fast

would a 91 computer run a 4t65E trans? in that case it would be almost plug in and play with you running the motor on OBD1 and having the chip tuned...

sorry if this has been gone over

Guest Greg Ross

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> From the picture it looks very neatly done. I hope we can gather enought information to attempt another one. </div></div>

Been there, Done that! And I might be insulted, I always considered mine pretty neatly done!

Attached is a "Flash" photo from Flint-'03

post-30773-14313788531_thumb.jpg

Guest MauiWowee

According to the parts book, there is a different vac. modulator used on a 1990 turbo equipped 4T60..........

(see attachment)

post-38637-143137885313_thumb.jpg

I would have to look at the pinouts but suspect there are the same signals used for a 4T60E and a 4T65E, it just would not make sense to be different. *Might* be a VSS difference but that is not difficult to fix for $$$.

Why did Ryan think there would be a problem ? He probably has direct experience by what some people find difficult, others find not quite so.

Of course it is always easiest if you have not done it at all.

"Swapping a complete power train is not that difficult, dimensions are about the same. Getting the digital dash to work properly is. How about a picture of the dash ?"

How hard would it be to put in an all new dash and computer on the car? Or would you have to also run a bunch of new wires? I was kinda thinking new drivetrain and new computer and such. would you have to replace all that wiring too or maybe just change the harnesses?

i defenetly do not want to re harness my reatta i was thinking more of a piggy back module that would send the stock ecm the correct waveforms for it to function properly. the wave forms would be based off the the pins that would register unreadable values.