Rochester-How many cars?

loflite

How many cars usually attend the national events? Unfortunately, Rochester is scheduled during the same week end as the big vette deal out in the Black Hills which I always attend. Now I have to make a choice. I've never attended a Buick National event. Is it a good time? Thanks.

I think last year it was 600 + cars in Batavia. The Buick Nationals are what you make of it, just like your corvette show I imagine. The thing about the Buick show is the diversity. The years of Buicks far outnumbers the Corvettes, and it is always neat to see numerous vehicles of the same model show up side by side. It was especially fun this year due to inclusion of the Modified Division and all the cars that showed up there, leanding another dimension to many of the models that did show up bone stock.

I think it is also fun to see how much cars have progressed over the span of 103 years.. and yet how much is basically the same. You just won't see that with 53 years of Vettes.

I don't know what events occur at the Vette show you attend, but I'm sure you'll find a bit of everything at the Buick show. There is drag racing, concours vehicles, wide array of vendors with lots of parts, conversation with people who are all into the marquee at different levels of committment, and usually there are some tours, be they organized or customized to the individual. Photo ops, friends, repairs, polishing, and if Buick is still with us, usually a nice display of Buick concept stuff.

What did I miss fellas?

Guest ZondaC12

did you say <span style="font-weight: bold">drag racing?</span> cool.gif awesome! for the muscle-car guys? or for anyone who wants to?..... that would be fun to watch, a couple straight-8s duking it out. hahaha

man i cant wait until the national meet comes back over here. even if there were no other activities or events it still would be so much fun. i think i should be able to make it to rhinebeck in may this year. maybe that regional in vernon, ct also.

if the national came to somewhere in CT or Mass. that would actually be better than batavia, even closer, and more likely i wouldnt worry about driving the '38 there. i have read a few stories such as Bill Stoneberg's about failures of parts during these long trips to meets. in his case it was particularly severe, a destroyed clutch if i recall correctly? i would definitely not want something like that to happen.

There were some insurance issues raised by the board about "drag racing" .and Roberta Vasilow (director of the Performance division) is trying to get them straightened out. I am not sure whether the situation will be resolved, but I am leaving my modified (37 coupe with 455 power) home, and bringing my 40 with the old straight 8. If they have racing, I will run it

Loflite, I am on the planning committee for the BCA Nats in Rochester. They are planning on approximately 500 cars. So far, 2 of the main hotels are already sold out. I believe there are 100+ actually registered for the show as of our last meeting in January. We are hoping for a good show.

Guest my3buicks

Probably the Buick Bug in Flint

Keep in mind, the drag races are not nor have they ever been santioned as a recognized part of the BCA's National - they have been set up on the side as an extra event.

Hopefully Roberta can figure out the logistics needed for this to continue or be embraced by the BCA. As of now it is an insurance and liability issue according to the BCA Insurance Co.

Guest sintid58

I know that J C Taylor says in their policy that they will not cover a car that is involved in any kind of racing. I don't know much about Hagerty or the others out there but would imagine they are the same and would think that there must be some kind of insurance for people who regularly race their cars. I don't know who that might be. It is sad that insurance issues must be such a big factor in any hobby but with the lawsuit attitude in this country it isn't surprising. I was not surprised to see the BCA publish their insurance the way it is. As you say hopefully the insurance issues can be addressed, I would love to run the new/old 64 Riv on the track just to see what it can do.

Keith, I think you are right! When I took the "Bug" down the track at Milan ,it was undoubtedly the oldest Buick to ever run down a drag strip. It was also the thrill of a lifetime. I have been drag racing for almost 50 years and have run many different kinds of cars (altereds,gassers;modified roadsters,stockers) but even though they were MUCH faster, none gave me the thrill of driving a piece of history like the "Bug"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many cars usually attend the national events? Unfortunately, Rochester is scheduled during the same week end as the big vette deal out in the Black Hills which I always attend. Now I have to make a choice. I've never attended a Buick National event. Is it a good time? Thanks. </div></div>

Getting back to your original question.....the way I look at it,.....if you have the chance to go to the Corvette show every year, and the Buick show is in your neighborhood this year,...I'd take in the Buick show, 'cause you can always go to the Vetter show. Maybe we'll see you there? I'll have the black over white 65 Skylark GS.

John

Neillsville, Wisconsin

Guest GS70Stage1

I have gone to 2 Nationals, Flint Anniversary in 03 and Batavia 05. Absolutely the best vacation for me there is. In response to your query of Buick vs Vette, a friend went to Flint with me who had driven his vette to Bowling Green the month before Flint for the 25th, and said Buick did a whole lot better than Chev did. I realize it was the Flint Chapter that did the show, but all the cars, the show field, very well organized and executed. Even the ending program was better he said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that J C Taylor says in their policy that they will not cover a car that is involved in any kind of racing. I don't know much about Hagerty or the others out there but would imagine they are the same and would think that there must be some kind of insurance for people who regularly race their cars. I don't know who that might be. It is sad that insurance issues must be such a big factor in any hobby but with the lawsuit attitude in this country it isn't surprising. I was not surprised to see the BCA publish their insurance the way it is. As you say hopefully the insurance issues can be addressed, I would love to run the new/old 64 Riv on the track just to see what it can do. </div></div>

No insurance company will insure a car for drags or racing, and it would be foolhardy to even think that they would. If you drag/race the car, whatever happens the owner should be personally liable for whatever happens. If you blow up the car why should the ins. co pay for it. If you injure somebody

Cei La Vie. No I don't work for the insurance company. That said, has anybody looked at the possibility of signing a liabilty waiver, if that even would be acceptable.

There will be a sizeable contingent of vintage Buicks traveling together from the North Cascade Chapter (Washington state) and Portland Chapter (Oregon). Among these will be a remarkable 1951 Super Estate Wagon. This car spent many years and miles traveling Arizona's desert highways. The car is unrestored cosmetically, but its sun-ravaged appearance reminds me of a weathered ghost town. Its baked paint, dried-out wood, and ancient travel decals make it really cool! The wonderful folks who own this old Buick are making plans for its upcoming restoration, but figured they couldn't miss out on this opportunity to share their time-worn Buick with the rest of the BCA.

THe POCI seems to have handled the insurance issue as racing has been a part of their events for a long, long time.

With respect to damage to your own car, absolutely--it's your problem not your insurance company's.

I think the liability issue may be more what happens if a driver runs over a spectator.