Details for 1931 buick

Karan

I have a 1931 Buick straight 8 cylinder 7 seater car.I am very confused about what series it could be.I would request if anybody could tell me what series it could be and how many cars were produced.I am interested in buying a pair of original headlights and any original part available can be looked into.Any type of information is highly appreciated and can be mailed at karant@gmail.com

Thanks.

All the best

Karan

Guest 53Nailhead

Karan, go to the BCA site (Pre- War General) on this page & if possible attach a picture of the car. Buick made A First Series 8-50, Second Series 8-50, Series 8-60, Series 8-80 & 90... each with many options, alittle more info would help. Someone on there will know & help you out. Lots of info & the best part, it's FREE!! grin.gif

Les

It must be the largest Buick Series 90 four door sedan. If it has a dividing window between front and rear seat it is a 90L. They also made a open 7 seater Phaeton Model 95. They made 4159 model 90, 514 of 90L and 392 of the Model 95. Sometimes you can find parts for these cars on Ebay.

Jan

There were some exported 7 Passenger 1931 Buicks but none match the number you show. The recorded 1931 Exports were the following:

Model 90X- four door Sedan, 43 built

Model 90LX Limousine, 106 built

Model 95X Phaeton, 68 built

I have not been able to find X85 9 SERIES listed anywhere. Please check it again, may missed type sent.

WJ

You need to make a decision. Do you want to restore it? Or do you want to sell it. If you choose to restore it, then sell it, you're going to lose a lot of money. If you just want to get rid of it, let the next owner do the parts searching.

I'd ask $8,000-$10,000 as is, and see what happens. You can always come down in price. It's going to depend on how many parts are missing, and which parts are missing. It's a pretty desirable body style, although Buick's "phaeton" was actually a seven-passenger touring car and not as pretty as real phaetons, which were five-passenger cars with the rear seat set much further forward (centered over the rear axle).

Good luck.

my plan was to restore it,use it maybe for a couple of rallies and then sack it off,the person doing the restoration gave an approx price of $40,000 for sale after it is fully done.It is a seven seater right hand drive,it will take some more time before it can be restored.what do you suggest how should i go about it,ive already spent $5000 on restoration and im estimating another $2000-$2500 towards restoration.

Karen,

I'm not quite sure how to say this, but if all that you're wanting is to finish putting it back together and have a running car, that indeed will help you be able to sell it, because it is very hard to sell a car that doesn't run. I wouldn't bother painting it, though... at the prices you're talking, it will have to be redone by the next owner anyway. My advice is to get it running, enjoy driving it for a little bit, and sell it. But do not restore it. The saying goes... The way to make a small fortune restoring a car, is to start with a large fortune. Most collectors who restore a car, or have a car restored for them, realize that they'll have a lot more money into the car than it will be worth when it is finished. Fact of life.

For a semi-good restoration you're looking at spending $40,000-plus to finish it, and that would be a conservative restoration that might not win you any awards at car shows. You won't be able to do chrome plating for less than $10,000 (in fact, $20,000 might be closer to correct). Paint, alone, never mind the labor involved in spraying it, will cost $3,000. Upholstery/top, minimum $10,000. Body work: $10-20,000. All these figures are conservative, and a shop that could restore it to perfect condition would probably charge you twice this amount. In other words, if you only spent $40,000 restoring this car, it might be worth $40,000 and it might be worth less. One thing's for sure, though, it would be difficult to find a capable shop to do perfect quality for that kind of money.