ABS actuator assembly

scottzilla

I have an 89 reatta with only 70k miles on it , i havnt driven it in a bout a year because the brakes were going and i just didnt have the cash to fix it at the time, anyway ive taken it to the shop this week and the mechanic who is pretty good with non reattas, says i need a abs actuator assembly, only place i can find one costs 1200 bucks, is htere a possible cheaper solution or does anyone know where i can find the part cheaper? btw abs light is on as well as the red brake light sometimes, when i stopped driving last year, power brakes completely failed on me while driving, i did the reatta.net brake test and it was taking too long for the motor to shut off to charge up the system but that says its the accumulator thats gone bad, is that the same thing as the actuator?

Thanks for any help in advance!

I am not sure what he was referring to either when he said you needed an actuator.

The pressure switch monitors high and low pressure and turns on the pump which pressurizes the accumulator ( black ball ) to 2600 pounds of pressure. When the pressure gets to near the high limit it will shut off the red and yellow lights and then shut off the pump. The pump might be bad and the motor good although I have never seen a pump go bad or you could have a bad pressure switch ( common to go bad ) or your accumulator could be bad. At this point it doesn't sound to me like you need to replace the whole unit on the firewall just one of the components mentioned. You can tell if the motor is running by turning on the key and putting your hand on the motor and you should feel it vibrating.

If you do determine what you need I have several Reatta part cars and have whole ABS units, and misc. parts including switches, accumulators and pump/motor assemblies at reasonable prices.

I can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

Guest F14CRAZY

Turn the ignition on and let the brake pump get the pressure up. After it stops, step on the brake. How many pumps can you get out of it before the pump turns on again? If it's like 1/2-pump or less, then your accumulator is at fault. Replace it (if you can wait like 2 weeks, get it from GMpartsdirect.com for like $117. Dealer will cost considerably more but a bit faster).

When replacing that, go ahead and bleed out the system.

The part number for the accumulator at GMPartsDirect.com is 25528382. I Have a new one that I am not using since I am selling the car, but will hold on to it until none are available new. The Buick Dealers have this fair traded at about $3000.00 the last time I checked at the Buick dealership I worked for.

Hope this helps

Will

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The part number for the accumulator at GMPartsDirect.com is 25528382. I Have a new one that I am not using since I am selling the car, but will hold on to it until none are available new. The Buick Dealers have this fair traded at about $3000.00 the last time I checked at the Buick dealership I worked for.

Hope this helps

Will </div></div>

$3000.00 as in 3k for an accumulator? If true, that's absurd.

ok, if padgett is right which he usually is, i think im gonna just have the whole thing replaced, that is if its only gonna cost around 600, mechanic said he checked the wheel speed sensors and they are ok, so if i replace the whole assembly the only thing i have to worry about then is the abs computer right? does anyone know what the likelyhood of that being the problem?? thanks again everyone for the help, and about that 3000 from the dealer i believe it, when i first got my reatta i took it to lynch buick down the street from me, charged me over a grand to charge, check the ac and do an anlignment, needless to say the ac was dead within in a year and the alignment went bad too.